Will send required material after quote. its Coping Mgtlife assignment.
Happiness Vlog - Dr. Susan Pierce Thompson former Psychology Professor & Author of Brightline Eating Book & Brightline Mind Course Vlog (11:00)
After watching the Vlog on Happiness complete this assessment and upload your typed responses to the associated assignment folder here on gaview
It is important to note that her focus is on the goal of weight loss, but everyone should relate to the idea of “I’ll be happy when…” So as you listen and respond below focus on whatever specific goals you have.
1. How does Dr. Thompson open her vlog that helps us relate?
2. How did she start her day?
3. Its important to note that who does she feel is responsible for the fight?
4. This is one key to being happier more successful person is that we dont take on victim role and blame others, but instead take what for our situations we find ourselves in?
5. So the first step toward happiness is that instead of continued excuse making, if Im unhappy because Im overweight, overspent, havent managed my time well, or made unhealthy choices in general then I need to accept that who is RESPONSIBLE for my unhappiness?
6. SO the great news about my accepting responsibility is that if I know I got myself here with one unhealthy choice at a time, then I also know that if I want to be happy the good news is who has power to make me happy?
7. If one bad choice after another has led to my dissatisfaction then the good news is how will I get to higher levels of satisfaction?
Back to the vlog....
8. What was her big professional vocational goal?
9. She takes a moment here to do something that is very statistically linked to high levels of life satisfaction. When discussing the book she immediately shows:
10. She achieved this huge goal and noted that just a few days later how did she feel?
11. Describe the primary lesson, significance, or bottom line of the years of research on how circumstances impact happiness and life satisfaction.
12. What has been her life long struggle that has kept her from being happy throughout her life?
13. PERSONAL APPLICATION: Everyone has these -Ill be happy when...- Thoughts.
Whats yours? Complete the prompt below.
“Ill be happy when....
14. Did her choices that brought her to her goal lead to higher levels of happiness / life satisfaction?
15. Now that she is thin, does achieving her goal, in this case being at her goal weight, make her happy?
16. When she was upset what did she do in moment?
17. PERSONAL APPLICATION: What do you or can you do in the moment when upset about circumstances?
18. So what does make us happier or experience higher levels of life satisfaction in general. What are the things that research actually shows seem to truly impact our levels of life satisfaction?
1. Healthy diet
2. Daily meditation / prayer / belief system that provides meaning
5. Satisfying work
6. Satisfying love relationships
7. Emotional support
19. She suggests happiness is a byproduct of what?
20. What often happens when we reach an -Ill be happy when- goal?
21. She does feel that what aspect of goal achievement does make us happier?
22. She suggests we need to find happiness and be happy when?
23. There is no day that cant be made better by...
24. PERSONAL APPLICATION: When she says happiness is a byproduct of right living we need to apply the Humanistic model which suggests happiness and life satisfaction rests on making sure our daily CHOICES are ALIGNED with our VALUES. So again, contemplate which choices are you making that are not aligned with your values and therefore making you less happy or less satisfied?
25. What is her challenge to us?
Modern Emotional Health Video with Brooke Castillo of The Life Coach School
After watching the video on Happiness complete this assessment and upload your typed responses to the associated assignment folder here on gaview
1. Her first concern is that we should not confuse emotional health with:
2. Why does she insist on using the word MODERN when discussing our emotional health?
2.1. Our modern environment is filled with:
2.2. We thinking everyone but us is:
2.3. And what is backfiring?
3. List the 3 components of the MOTIVATIONAL TRIAD that have traditionally allowed us to survive?
4. Why are each of these components of the MOTIVATIONAL TRIAD no longer serving us?
5. She suggests now in modern times we need to do the exact opposite of what our brain was designed to do.
5.1. We need to delay:
5.2. Embrace and open up to and experience our:
5.3. Instead of conserving or preserving energy we need to:
6. What are we taught in terms of EMOTIONAL EDUCATION?
6.1. Who hurts our feelings?
6.2. Who makes us happy?
6.3. What makes us happy or sad?
7. What does she suggest is the reason we do or don’t do anything?
8. We accomplish or avoid things bc of how we think they will make us:
9. So what does she suggests is the end all be all issue that determines everything else in our life?
10. If other people and circumstances are not the cause of our feelings than what CAUSES our FEELINGS?
Note: She is relaying the essence of cognitive-behavioral theory & the associated therapy approach
11. Do feelings just happen?
12. The false teaching or misconception we’ve accepted is that the ultimate goal in life is to be:
13. The other misconception is that negative emotions should be:
14. Can any one of us ever be good and happy all of the time?
15. According to her Modern Emotional Education, life is half & half:
16. Is there anything wrong with experiencing negative emotions like discomfort, anxiety, fear, sadness, frustration, doubt?
So we go out into the world to create outer circumstances and to get other people to fix our negative emotions and solve a problem that isn’t even a problem
17. How do we try to solve what we think is a problem then?
18. Instead of being negative about all the negative, we need to ACCEPT that there will always be negative things, because when we get upset about all the negative what do we do?
19. Should we want to be happy all the time, even when bad things like loss, war, murder, rape, are occurring?
20. She suggests is always going to be about 50% good & 50% bad for everybody and it won’t get any better until you change the way you:
UNHEALTHY EMOTIONAL LIFE
21. Identify her signs of an unhealthy emotional life.
21.1. The first sign of an unhealthy emotional life is Lack of:
21.2. The 2nd thing we do is avoidance/resistance to negative emotion - or what she calls:
We come home at night feeling stressed, frustrated, overwhelmed, tired - all negative emotions, so we try to find something to FIX IT that is:
22. What is the problem with buffering through use of false pleasures?
23. The 3rd unhealthy thing we do is we INDULGE in our emotions by doing what 2 things?
24. The 4th unhealthy thing we do is that we:
25. How does she apply this concept to relationships?
MODERN EMOTIONAL HEALTH
26. What is the 1st step of Modern Emotional Health?
27. What is the 2nd step of Modern Emotional Health?
KEY LEARNING OUTCOME: It’s important to recognize and accept that EMOTIONS are totally HARMLESS and simply a part of our human experience. There is no need to FIX THEM and we must learn to not REACT to our URGES to BUFFER or NUMB EMOTIONS, such as procrastinating with Netflix, Instagram, etc, drink, smoke, overeat, shop, gamble, workaholism, people/sex addiction, etc
28. We have to separate our emotion from our choice to _____________ _______to it
29. The 3rd step is NOT INDULGING, but what is the problem with INDULGING by reacting or placing blame?
30. The 4th step is the opposite of HIDING, or: IF WE ARE GOING TO FEEL BAD HALF THE TIME ANYWAY, we might as well have WILLINGNESS TO FEEL & PURSUE GOALS
31. The 5th step is:
32. We generate our own emotions by what we:
Note: What do you think about what she has to say regarding feeling and experiencing the whole range of human emotions? Why would she say she would go through the heartbreak all over again?
5 SKILLS WE MUST DEVELOP
33. What is the 1st skill she suggests we develop?
34. What is the 2nd skill she suggests we develop?
35. Probably the most important component of the second skill above is developing our ability to:
36. The 3rd skill is to develop our ability to separate emotion from:
37. So according to the 3rd skill above, do other people and situations like how much $ we have in the bank, who’s in the White House, etc... CAUSE our emotions?
38. What DOES determine how we feel?
39. We have to be at peace and content knowing that we won’t be what 100 percent of the time?
Note: The great thing about this is that MISERY MOTIVATES more so than contentment
40. The 4th skill we must develop is to:
41. THE 5th skill is to generate or create:
42. What is the point of achieving goals if the goal isn’t going to make you happy?
SHOCKING I know, but she suggests The GOAL of LIFE isn’t to be HAPPY
SO the GOAL of ACHIEVING “THE GOAL” isn’t HAPPINESS either
The GOAL is to EMBRACE the FULL EXPERIENCE and NOT Be AFRAID of any EMOTION
43. In order to achieve our dreams, sometimes we have to experience the discomfort of:
44. She asks what life IS all ABOUT for YOU and this should bring you back to our initial photo upload assignment of recognizing what’s most important to you and living your life in accordance with what matters most to you
45. She believes that emotional health has a lot to do with Confidence, but where does confidence come from?
CONFIDENCE = There is NO FAILURE or REJECTION that we shouldn’t be willing to EXPERIENCE
The WORST that can happen is just an EMOTION or a FEELING
So she goes in knowing she can handle the WORST that can HAPPEN
KEY LEARNING OUTCOME: Emotional pain is harmless so EMBRACE the emotions
46. I suggest this 3 step process for PROCESSING EMOTIONS.
Provide your own example in steps below
1. This is just a feeling, it’s going to go away soon, and it’s here to teach me something,
what would that be?
2. Why am I experiencing this feeling of ___________? worry, anxiety, self doubt, sadness discouragement, frustration, anger (remember anger is always a surface emotion so you have to get to the true feeling that is underlying it which is most often either hurt of fear)
3. Now that I’ve identified what I am feeling and why, I need to be careful not to buffer or avoid and I need to take action if there happens to be an action which would alleviate the emotion. Often, stopping procrastination, taking action and experiencing completion can relieve an emotion. If not, embrace the emotion and know that it will pass
47. What is the problem with false pleasures or buffering like use of alcohol, drugs, food, netflix, social media, procrastinating of any kind?
48. Describe one personal example of how you BUFFER or use FALSE PLEASURES.
KEY LEARNING OUTCOME: FAILING is better than procrastinating, just be sure to FAIL FORWARD learn from experience and keep trying
49. Why is there nothing more important than your emotional health?