Marks and Feedback
Before 10am on:
20 working days after deadline (L4, 5 and 7)
15 working days after deadline (L6)
10 working days after deadline (block delivery)
Click or tap to enter a date.
Unit title & code
MAR031-3 Topical Marcomms Practice
Assignment number and title
Weighting of assessment
Unit learning outcomes
1. Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding
• Demonstrate a critical understanding of how theories of advertising and marketing communications are applied in a contemporary setting.
2. Demonstrate the following skills and abilities.
• Apply skills of critical analysis, and communication to professional practice standards in the context of ‘real world’ problems and utilize feedback for self-improvement.
What am I required to do in this assignment?
• This is an Individual report which uses questions to allow a wide and free-ranging critical discussion of three topical issues in Marketing Communications.
• Your task is to succinctly address the questions and provide a thoughtful response to the issues raised.
• You should critically analyse the issues presented in the questions and you should in effect create a mini debate for each.
• Support your discussions with examples from marketing/advertising campaigns and/or organizations.
• You must use relevant theories to support your views/arguments and critical analysis from a multitude of perspectives.
• You must include a justified viewpoint for each question.
• There are three questions to answer which carry the same marks. You should answer ALL questions.
The questions are:
• There’s no fundamental difference between not-for-profit and commercial organizations when it comes to marketing and media strategies.
• The future is in personalization and customized marketing.
• Is segmentation still valuable in creating a marketing communications campaign?
Is there a size limit?
• Word Guide (+/_ 10%) 750 words per question
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
In order to pass Assignment 1 you will need to:
• Demonstrate relevant research on topical issues in marketing communications.
• Demonstrate insight into a contemporary ‘real-world’ integrated marketing communications problem.
• Justify proposals using relevant advertising and marketing theories.
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
“You may have noticed that the section answering the question “How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?” is currently empty. We will be filling this section in together in class on [insert date here] make sure you have downloaded/printed out the Assignment Brief and bring it to the session with you.”
Note to tutor (will not be shown on the student version):
• It is essential that you partake in the weekly seminars and read the case studies/articles that are uploaded on Breo prior to the lessons, so that you are able to draw out from these materials key evidence to support your arguments in your assignment.
• You need to focus on correctly answering the questions using your guided learning material and wider reading to provide relevant evidence to support your arguments.
High Quality work would include answers that present (tutor notes):
• Critical analysis of theories and application to questions.
• An analysis that deals with the major elements from a marketing and advertising point of view.
• Selection and amplification of ideas that are in line with the analysis presented.
• Effective use of language and a developed critical evaluation.
• An excellent and cohesive response.
How does assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
The questions in the report are based upon what is delivered in the lectures. Each week’s content that is presented is vital for answering.
The questions will particularly focus on specific themes that have been introduced and presented over the course of the unit which will include:
• Agility in advertising in a changing social media environment
• Analyzing marketing problems
• Consumer Insight
• Strategic account planning and research methods
• Integrated marketing communications
• Brand storytelling
• Experiential marketing
• Marketing communications planning process
All of these themes will be taught in the lectures and you will be expected to critically analyse all and apply to the questions asked.
How will my assignment be marked?
Your assignment will be marked according to the threshold expectations and the criteria on the following page.
You can use them to evaluate your own work and estimate your grade before you submit.
Lower 2nd – 50-59%
Upper 2nd – 60-69%
1st Class – 70%+
DEMONSTRATING A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT (25%) GOOD... GRASP OF THE TOPIC & SOME OF ITS IMPLICATIONS PRESENTED.
KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING IS DEMONSTRATED. MINOR ERRORS / OMISSIONS IN CONTENT/ THEORY.
INCONSISTENT, BUT CORRECT APPLICATION OF MARKETING/ ADVERTISING/ THEORY/PRINCIPLES/CONCEPTS
VERY GOOD... LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING DEMONSTRATED.
COVERS MOST RELEVANT POINTS & ISSUES. FEW ERRORS / OMISSIONS IN CONTENT/THEORY.
FOR THE MOST PART CORRECT APPLICATION OF MARKETING/ ADVERTISING/ THEORY/PRINCIPLES/CONCEPTS EXCELLENT EVIDENCE OF APPROPRIATE READING. COVERS ALL RELEVANT POINTS & ISSUES.
EXPLORATION OF TOPIC SHOWING EXCELLENT KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING THROUGHOUT.
THE BEST WORK WILL SHOW IMPRESSIVE CHOICE AND RANGE OF APPROPRIATE CONTENT AND CORRECT APPLICATION OF MARKETING/ ADVERTISING/ THEORY/PRINCIPLES/CONCEPTS
MARKETING/ ADVERTISING APPLICATION AND INTEGRATION OF LITERATURE (30%) GOOD... MARKETING AND ADVERTISING INSIGHT & APPLICATION.
BREADTH, DEPTH & INTEGRATION OF LITERATURE/EXAMPLES INTO WORK IS APPROPRIATE TO THE CONTEXT AND ATTEMPTS TO BE CONSISTENT.
VERY GOOD... MARKETING AND ADVERTISING INSIGHT & APPLICATION.
BREADTH, DEPTH & INTEGRATION OF LITERATURE/EXAMPLES INTO WORK IS ABOVE AVERAGE.
EXCELLENT... MARKETING AND ADVERTISING INSIGHT & APPLICATION.
BREADTH, DEPTH & INTEGRATION OF LITERATURE/EXAMPLES INTO WORK IS IMPRESSIVE.
DISCUSSION /ANALYSIS /CRITICAL EVALUATION &/OR REFLECTION (30%) GOOD... LEVEL OF DISCUSSION/ANALYSIS/ CRITICAL EVALUATION &/OR REFLECTION BUT MORE IDEAS/POINTS COULD BE ADDRESSED /DEVELOPED FURTHER.
VERY GOOD... LEVEL OF DISCUSSION/ANALYSIS/ CRITICAL EVALUATION &/OR REFLECTION & A FEW IDEAS/POINTS COULD BENEFIT FROM FURTHER DEVELOPMENT &/OR EVALUATION/COMPARISON.
EXCELLENT... LEVEL OF DISCUSSION/ANALYSIS/ CRITICAL EVALUATION &/OR REFLECTION CLEARLY DEVELOPING POINTS IN THE APPROPRIATE WAY WITH THOROUGH CONSIDERATION OF ALL POSSIBILITIES.
THE BEST WORK WILL HIGHLY DEVELOPED AND FOCUSED AND ATTEMPTS A HOLISTIC TREATMENT OF THE TASK/PROBLEM.
PRESENTATION STYLE AND STRUCTURE (15%)
GOOD...CLEAR PRESENTATION & ESSAY STRUCTURE. WRITING IS MAINLY CLEAR BUT SOME SPELLING &/ OR GRAMMATICAL ERRORS.
VERY GOOD... PRESENTATION & ESSAY STRUCTURE, PARAGRAPHING, FLUENT ACADEMIC WRITING STYLE.
VERY FEW GRAMMATICAL ERRORS & SPELLING MISTAKES.
EXCELLENT ... PRESENTATION & ESSAY STRUCTURE. ARTICULATE & FLUENT ACADEMIC WRITING STYLE. ONLY A MINOR ERROR.