INSTRUCTIONS FOR AF210 GROUP ASSIGNMENT S2 2021
This Assignment will be undertaken in individually.
Course Code AF210 (Blended Mode)
Course Name Financial Accounting
Semester II, 2021
Weight 15% of overall course mark
Due Date Online submission (Moodle drop box) by 11.55pm Friday 1st October 2021
For softcopy you will submit two files, one is the excel that contains all the data, and second is the word file (write up)
Groups This assignment should be done individually.
Word Limit Fill an excel file collecting data from a firm you are allocated; and write an essay with 2000-2500 words.
• Fill the excel worksheets properly;
• Do not exceed the maximum word limit;
• Disclose the word count in your final assignment.
Format and Style Guide (Essay part) Please submit a Word document (NO PDF format) for the essay.
Font Size 12 and Line Spacing 1.5
Essay style, academic writing, you can use tables, graphs, headings/subheadings, colors etc. NO bullet points.
Referencing Follow the APA referencing system.
Maximum 5 references including at least 2 peer-reviewed journal articles.
(For peer-reviewed journal articles, You can use online search using ProQuest or another journal database accessible through the USP Library website. You can seek help from the USP Library Information Desk or FBE SLS if you have difficulties; however do not expect them to find the articles for you.)
Assignment • Your assignment will be graded according to the attached marking rubric.
Assessment • Turnitin similarity rate should not exceed 15%.
Please pay close attention to the USP regulations on plagiarism.
Page 1 of 5
Critically analyze a listed firm’s financial statement; financial performance, financial position, corporate governance, and audit characteristics over 3 years (2017, 2018, 2019).
1. Collecting basic financial and corporate governance data from a listed firm’s annual reports. An Excel template is provided with firm-years aligned. You are required to fill the excel properly and clearly. The data you collect will be used in your essay.
The following 2-5 are essay requirements.
2. Critically analyze:
? The statement of comprehensive income of the company o You can pick out to discuss any important aspect of your company e.g ROA, EPS, Revenue etc.
? The statement of Financial position of the company o You can pick out to discuss any important aspect of your company e.g Debt structure, equity structure, assets, current ratio etc.
3. Discuss the firm’s corporate governance and ownership structure and provide suggestions on how to improve. You are required to discuss whether its corporate governance is good, based on the board and audit committee characteristics. What is the advantage of proper board and the financial reporting process? [You could discuss the firm’s board size, whether CEO and chairperson are the same person, how many independent directors, female directors, shareholder information, internal valuers or external valuers etc.]
4. Study and comment on the trend of the audit report of the company. Example was the opinion qualified or unqualified, were there any restatements, or going concern problems or any other necessary issues. Also, discuss if there were any significant changes in the accounting policies/estimates/methods in the company. Also, comment on the key audit matters mentioned in the audit report, and the type of key audit matter.
5. Study each director of a firm and read their biography, make an assessment on whether the qualification of the directors and the Chief executive officer (CEO) is appropriate in relation to the industry of the company (Hint: You have to assess the director’s qualification, whether there are accounting expert, valuation expert and then comment on their ability to use that knowledge in the industry of the firm)
Page 2 of 5
ESSAY GRADING RUBRIC
Facet of Research Element of Marking Grade Mark D or E 0-4/10 marks C or C+ 5-6/10 marks B or B+ 7-8/10 marks A or A+ 9-10/10 marks
Clarify State objectives of the research clearly and unambiguously 10 Failed to state any research objectives Stated at least 1 relevant objective Clearly stated at least 2 relevant objectives Clearly stated a few relevant and achievable objectives
Find and Generate Find and generate needed
information and/or data using appropriate methodology 10 Failed to generate valid information or data Collected some information or data from literature, annual reports, interviews etc. using an appropriate research method Collected adequate information or data from literature, annual reports, interviews etc. using
at least 1 appropriate research method Collected comprehensive information or data from literature, annual reports, interviews etc. using appropriate research methods
Evaluate and Reflect Evaluating the credibility of financial statement and auditor characteristics information 10 No credibility of information identified; Failed to state and cite any relevant or
reliable information/data sources At least 1 credible information identified;
Properly stated and cited at least 2 relevant and reliable information/data sources At least 1 credible information identified;
Properly stated and cited at least 4 relevant and reliable information/data sources At least 2 credible information identified;
Properly stated and cited sufficient relevant and reliable information/data sources
Manage Organize information/data and structure the
essay in an academic way 10 Failed to structure the essay, no themes Summarized some
literature/data; Structured the essay to some extent to reveal themes Summarized the literature/data adequately;
Structured the essay clearly to reveal relevant themes Summarized the literature/data comprehensively; Structured the essay well to reveal relevant themes
Page 3 of 5
Analyze and Synthesis Criticize literature, and critically analyze data to produce comprehensive understanding and
to provide constructive suggestions 10 Failed to criticize literature, and critically analyze data Criticized literature, and critically analyzed data to produce basic understanding and provide at least 1 suggestion Criticized literature, and critically analyzed data to produce adequate understanding and provide at least 1 insightful suggestion Criticized literature, and critically analyzed data to produce comprehensive understanding and provide a few constructive suggestions
Analyze the firm’s board and audit committee
characteristics, directors and CEO qualification 10 Failed to analyze the board and audit committee characteristics, directors and CEO qualification Analyzed at least 1 aspect of the board and audit committee
characteristics, directors and CEO qualification Analyzed a few aspects of the board and audit committee
characteristics, directors and CEO qualification Significantly analyzed the board and audit committee
characteristics, directors and CEO qualification
Communicate and Apply Coherent and wellwritten essay with no language mistakes. 10 No coherence, hard to follow the writing with many grammar or spelling mistakes. Some coherence, understandable
English writing with some grammar or spelling mistakes Good coherence, well-written essay with a few grammar or spelling mistakes Excellent coherence, well-written essay with no grammar or spelling mistakes
Total There will be penalty for 15% Turnitin rate and
2500 words 70
Page 4 of 5