Student Name: Student ID
Unit: SITHCCC019 Produce cakes, pastries and breads
Assessment Satisfactory (S) / Not Yet
Satisfactory (NYS) Date Comment Assessor’s Initial:
Practical See practical observation assessment
Feedback from the Student:
I have been provided with feedback on this assessment from the assessor for this unit
Overall competency has been achieved: YES ? NO ?
? Assessment submitted past end date
Assessor’s Name: Result Date :
Course Code SIT30816 Course Name Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
Unit Code SITHCCC019 Unit Name Produce cakes, pastries and breads
Due Date ________________ Assessment Name Questions
Student No. ________________ Student Name _____________________________
Student Phone ________________ Student Email _____________________________
I declare that this assessment is my own work and where my work is supported by documents from my workplace placement/employer permission has been granted.
Note: This assessment will not be accepted unless all sections have been completed and the front cover has been signed and dated.
Filling out this coversheet as part of an electronic submission and approving the above information will operate in the same way as physically signing this cover sheet.
Student Signature ______________________________________________________________
Office Use Only
Date/s Received: ___/___/___ ___/___/___ ___/___/___
Date/s Assessed: ___/___/___ ___/___/___ ___/___/___
Result of Assessment: ___________ ___________ ___________
Entered on Training Plan Moderation Signature
Note for Assessors: Filling out the above Office Use Only section as part of an electronic submission will operate in the same way as physically signing this cover sheet. If not physically signed, Assessor must print their name in signature box.
Course Code and Name: SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
Unit Code: SITHCCC019
Unit Title: Produce cakes, pastries and breads
Assessment 1 – Questions
You are required to complete all questions and tasks for this assignment. All tasks and exercises are based on the theory content and recipes contained in your recipe books.
The information you provide in this assignment may be followed-up with questions from your trainer before the final practical assessment. It is therefore essential that you have sufficient knowledge to explain and substantiate all information you provide in this paper.
1. List all essential equipment and utensils required for the preparation of the listed pastes and pastry products, and explain the general hygiene and safety requirements for preparing and using these:
Preparation Equipment/ Utensil Requirements
Short or sweet paste
Hygiene Requirements Safety Requirements
2. What are the nutritional aspects which apply for pastries, cakes and yeast goods? Which factors need to be considered to lower carbohydrates and fat, substitute sugar, increase fibre and make adjustments for general dietary requirements and allergies?
Nutritional Aspects Considerations for healthy options
3. Yeast and its relevance for producing yeast goods.
Provide an overview of:
? How does yeast work in principle? What is its role in the bread-making process?
? What are the requirements for yeast to be active?
? What is the yeast activity at the following temperatures?
• 1-4°C __________________________________
• 23°C __________________________________
• 24-30°C __________________________________
• 31-35°C __________________________________
• 45°C __________________________________
• ~55°C __________________________________
4. Explain the following production methods for short paste including points of care:
1. The rub-in method
2. The creaming method
3. The hot water method
5. Provide the ingredients and ratios of ingredients for the following pastes:
Savoury Short Paste – Pâte Brisée
Sweet Paste – Pâte Sucrée
Lining Paste – Pâte à Foncer
Sablée Paste – Pâte Sablée
6. List the sequential steps and points of care for the preparation and baking of choux paste.
7. Provide a product description for the following pastries including suggestions for garnishes and presentation for service to customers:
Baba au rhum
8. What is Danish Paste? How is it produced? Provide the production steps for four (4) different varieties of Danish pastries:
Description for Danish Paste
Production method and steps for Danish Paste
Production steps for 4 different Danish Pastries
9. What is the typical production method for a strudel?
10. Explain the French method for producing puff paste. How does this technique vary from the English and Scotch methods?
11. Which processes puff pastry to rise? How is this done correctly? Which techniques and combinations should be used?
12. List the ratio of ingredients and the preparation method of a Genoese sponge including points of care:
Ingredients and ratio Preparation method and points of care
13. List three (3) production methods for meringues and provide an example for the use of each type:
Preparation Method Application for use
14. Provide four (4) different examples with applications for products each, for sweet and savoury fillings, Icings and toppings.
How are these fillings, icings and toppings prepared?
What must be considered when coating cakes with icing?
Examples Preparation Method for number 1
Sweet Filling 1.
Savoury Filling 1.
Aspects to consider when coating cakes
15. Choose a recipe for a bread (yeast) dough of your choice and list the steps for the production in order. Provide the key criteria for evaluating the external and internal quality characteristics and explain what the desired eating characteristics should be in general:
Recipe Title: ____________________________________
Recipe - Ingredients
Internal Characteristics External Characteristics Eating Characteristics
16. Provide a recipe for unleavened bread and list the production steps.
Standard Recipe Card
Name of dish: Portion #:
Total Cost: Portion size:
Portion Cost: Sale Price at
( Food Cost)
Sales Price Food Cost %
Item Specification Weight kg/l/Unit Cost per kg/l/Unit Actual cost
17. Provide an overview for the storage requirements of pastries, cakes and yeast goods including the appropriate provisions to meet food safety requirements and explain how these storage areas must be checked and maintained.
18. Provide five (5) suggestions for measures to minimise wastage in pastry production including provisions for the use of reusable products:
Provisions to minimise wastage
19. You have prepared a selection of different pastries, cakes and yeast goods. How would you present these for sale for individual servings, as part of function/buffet or on display?
Which principles for presentation must be considered?