Subject Title Business Research
Subject Code RES 800
Lecturer / Tutor Dr Chengeto Chaderopa & Dr Andrew Le
Semester May 2021
Assessment Title Business Research Proposal
Learning Outcome/s • Analyse ethical issues and considerations and their relevance in applied business research.
• Apply research theories and methodologies to assist in developing a business research proposal.
• Succinctly communicate arguments that reflect a synthesis of literature and business research concepts.
• Utilise critical thinking to analyse managerial problems and formulate relevant research questions and research design.
• Apply advanced understanding and skills in qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis and interpretation.
Assessment type (group or individual) Individual
Word count 3000 words
Due date Week 11
Class submission Lecture ? Tutorial ?
Submission type Paper copy ? Turnitin ?
Format / Layout of Assessment
(details of what to include) (cross the appropriate check boxes) Report:
ICMS Cover Page
Table of Contents
Synopsis / Executive Summary
ICMS Cover Page
Peer review (group presentation)
Reference List ?
(outline specific details here – use check boxes)
(clear, succinct, without repetition) In this assignment, students need to:
• Submit a 3000-word Business Research Proposal which includes their research objective, questions, literature review, research methods (sample, sampling, instrumentation, data collection and analysis), and the proposed timeline.
• The Business Research Proposal needs to demonstrate students' advanced understanding of research theories and methodologies and their synthesis of the literature in the field to develop original contributions and suggest specific recommendations for improvement.
Please pay attention to notes below:
• Reports are to be submitted to Turnitin at week 11
• You will be expected to have consulted books, at least 15 relevant recent academic journal articles, conference proceedings, theses, dissertations, market reports and so on to prepare the report from quality sources listed in scholarly databases
• Use proper in-text citations and referencing
• Do not plagiarize
• For style you need to use follow carefully the style guide document on the Moodle.
Readings for the assessment (instructions where they can be found e.g. MyAthens database,
Moodle etc.) • Lecture notes (Moodle)
• Recommended textbooks in the unit outline
• Prescribed articles available on MyAthens database
Grading Criteria / Rubric The following criteria will be used to assess this assignment:
• Structure of the essay, clear headings and sub headings.
• Clarity, consistency and conceptual accuracy of arguments in the literature review and problem statement.
• Clear and easy to understand explanations for data collection and analysis.
• Accurate and well-argued justifications for the choice of sampling methods and analytical approach in line with research problem and questions.
• Logical flow for the literature review.
• Complete and accurate in-text citation and referencing.
Peer Review Evaluation (group work – optional) N/A
Assessment 3 - Business Research Proposal (50%)
Criteria Description Weight Poor 50% Weak 65% Average 75% Good 75% Excellent 85%
arguments How clear arguments are made about the application of research methods and techniques Max. 5 marks
Coherency of argument Are analytic arguments about choice of methods and design coherent and aligned with the RO and RQs? Max. 5 marks
Consistency Are analytic arguments about choice of methods and design consistent? Max. 5 marks
Structure Is essay professionally structured in terms of headings, sub headings and paragraphing Max. 5 marks
Sample and sampling Are the choice of sampling method and sample size adequately and correctly discussed? Max. 10 marks
Analytical methods Are the choice of analytical method and approach adequately and correctly discussed? Max. 10 marks
Quality of references used Are all references used peer reviewed? Max. 5 marks
Citations and referencing formats Are in-text citations and referenced formatted according to the prescribed styles and formats? Max. 5 marks