Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Trimester T1 2021
Unit Code HI6006
Unit Title Competitive Strategy
Assessment Type Group Assignment – maximum 4 persons per group
Note: Groups must be formed by week 6. Once a group is formed, no changes are allowed.
If you fail to form a group, your lecturer may allow you to submit individually.
Assessment Title Report – Case Analysis and Application of Strategy Models
Purpose of the
assessment Students are required to explain in report format, with reference to a case of your choice, how any one of the following would be applied:
Business Strategy, Competitive Dynamics, Corporate Strategy, Acquisitions and Structure, International Strategy.
This is strictly required to be your own original work.
Be sure to base your answer on the models studied in class and quote your academic sources.
Total Marks 40 [note: the total assignment is graded out of 40]
Word limit Report not more than 2500 words
Due Date Week 10 for the final report. [Late submission penalties accrue at the rate of -5% per day]
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Blackboard by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 12-pt Arial font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings and page numbers.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list, all using Harvard referencing style.
• At the end of your report please include an appendix stating ‘who wrote which section’, i.e. provide the student name and number for each section of the report.
Assignment 2 Specifications
This assignment aims at ensuring that students have familiarized themselves with at least one significant case study (from any of those in the tutorials) and are able to apply the “strategic management process” and relevant foundational strategy development models that are applicable to the case.
Select any one case study from the following aspects of competitive strategy and apply the theories of strategy development tools and how they are used in the identification of strategic issues. Report must contain a comprehensive application of the strategic management process containing both formulation and implementation of strategy relevant to the case study you choose:
• Business Strategy
• Competitive Dynamics
• Corporate Strategy
• Acquisitions and Restructure
• International Strategy
In this report, the use of sub-headings is essential.
Be sure to use paragraphing.
Be sure to reference your sources in-text and provide a list of references at the end, all in Harvard style.
Your final submission is due Friday of week 10 at midnight. Late submissions attract penalties at the rate of -5% per day.
Assignment Structure Required
Cover page [this is essential and must be completed accurately]
Table of Contents
Body of the report to contain Section Headings – e.g. introduction, brief summary of the case; identification of strategic issues (relevant theoretical concepts, application of strategy model); strategy formulation; strategy implementation; conclusion.
Sub-sections are to be numbered.
Paragraphing must be used. Page Numbers must be used.
Reference List at the end must be in Harvard format and mainly academic Journal Articles.
Appendix: Statement of ‘who wrote which section’ (see below).
Note: The report should be grounded on relevant literature, and all references must be cited appropriately and included in the reference list. The Adaptive Harvard Referencing guidelines are provided below.
ASSESSMENT DESIGN – ADAPTED HARVARD REFERENCING
Holmes will be implementing as a pilot program a revised Harvard approach to referencing. The following guidelines apply:
1. Reference sources in assignments are limited to sources which provide full text access to the source’s content for lecturers and markers.
2. The Reference list should be located on a separate page at the end of the essay and titled: References.
3. It should include the details of all the in-text citations, arranged alphabetically A-Z by author surname. In addition, it MUST include a hyperlink to the full text of the cited reference source.
P Hawking, B McCarthy, A Stein (2004), Second Wave ERP Education, Journal of Information Systems Education, Fall, http://jise.org/Volume15/n3/JISEv15n3p327.pdf
4. All assignments will require additional in-text reference details which will consist of the surname of the author/authors or name of the authoring body, year of publication, page number of content, paragraph where the content can be found.
“The company decided to implement a enterprise wide data warehouse business intelligence strategies (Hawking et al, 2004, p3(4)).”
Non-Adherence to Referencing Guidelines
Where students do not follow the above guidelines:
1. Students who submit assignments which do not comply with the guidelines will be asked to resubmit their assignments.
2. Late penalties will apply, as per the Student Handbook each day, after the student/s have been notified of the resubmission requirements.
3. Students who comply with guidelines and the citations are “fake” will be reported for academic misconduct.
To ensure that all students participate equitably in the group assignment and that students are responsible for the academic integrity of all components of the assignment. You need to complete the following table which identifies which student/students are responsible for the various sections of the assignment:
Assignment Section Student Name and Number
This table needs to be completed and submitted with the assignment as it is a compulsory component required before any grading is undertaken.
8-7 marks Very Good
6-5 marks Good
4-3 marks Satisfactory
2 marks Unsatisfactory
1 or 0 marks
Referencing (in- text)
Max 3 marks n/a n/a Correct in all respects Some minor errors Largely incorrect or incomplete
Reference List (at end)
Max 4 marks n/a n/a Correct in most respects Some minor errors Largely incorrect or incomplete
Executive Summary Max 4 marks n/a n/a A good summary of the report A basic summary of the report Missing
Summary of the Case
Max 5marks n/a Clear, concise and compelling A good summary of the case A satisfactory summary of the case Inaccurate or misconstrued content
Explanation of All key strategic Most key Some key key strategic strategic Issues
Strategic issues Issues are strategic Issues strategic Issues are identified or
identified and are identified Issues are identified and explained
Max 8 marks well-explained and explained identified and explained, but incorrectly or
explained with some
Application of The theoretical The theoretical A good A satisfactory The attempt made
Relevant concepts have concepts match attempt has attempt has to match and apply
Theoretical been matched to the issues in the been made to been made to relevant theoretical
Concepts the issues in the case precisely and case and are applied quite match and apply relevant match and apply relevant concepts to the case is
Max 8 marks well applied well theoretical theoretical unsatisfactory or
the case concepts to the case negligible
Professionalism of the Report
Max 8 marks The report is exceptionally
well-documented was High
Virtuoso quality The report is very well-
/ stand-out quality The report is well-
documented was credit- worthy quality The report is satisfactory was
satisfactory The report is unsatisfactory was
40 marks* Comments Mark Awarded