TORRENS UNIVERSITY AUSTRALIA
ASSESSMENT 1 BRIEF
Subject Code and Title LGH6O2 Leadership for Global Hospitality
Assessment Individual Case Study Report
Length 1,500 words (+/-10%)
Learning Outcomes This assessment addresses the following Subject Learning Outcomes: a) Provide a comprehensive explanation of the role of leadership in the context of the global hotel sector. c) Investigate and critically reflect on the emerging contemporary drivers in effective leadership, including adaptive leadership, ethics, sustainability, diversity, cultural and emotional intelligence in relation to students' leadership.
Submission Due by 11:55pm AEST/AEDT/ACST/ACDT Sunday of Week 5.
Total Marks 100 marks
Develop a case study on the leadership demonstrated by a hospitality organisation in relation to one (1) of the following 4 global hospitality leadership situations:
1. Ethics (for example, commissions to online travel agents, overbooking, etc.);
3. Employee relations (for example, salary, benefits, working environment, expatriate workers, etc.);
4. Cultural diversity.
You should first identify one of the four areas for discussion that are listed and then choose a hotel leader/brand or hospitality organisation which is focussing on that issue.
You can use your personal experiences of working in hotels or other hospitality sectors, or you can research a hotel leader/brand or other hospitality organisation online.
Your case study report should consider the following points, using this suggested format:
Torrens Assessment Cover Sheet
Table of Contents
Introduction - outlining what the topic of the report is and then briefly discuss what the reader will learn from reading the report. It usually does not include any referencing.
1. Context for the Case Study
1.1. Explain the area of discussion you have chosen (ethics, sustainability, employee relations, cultural diversity) - why is this an important area for global hospitality?
1.2. Identify and briefly discuss the hotel leader/brand or other hospitality organisation that has been a leader in this area.
1.3. Why are they a leader in this area - what specific initiatives have been developed and implemented in relation to the situation?
1.4. How have they been publicly recognised in relation to this situation? (for example, have they won awards, peer praise, industry recognition etc?)
2. Leadership Case Study
2.1. What leadership behaviours, attitudes and styles have been used/applied throughout the implementation of these initiatives? Did they demonstrate any adaptive or situational leadership in relation to this situation?
2.2. How were these initiatives shared and communicated?
2.3. Are there any ethical issues associated with implementation?
3. Critical Evaluation
A Critical evaluation of the leadership behaviours, attitudes and styles used - was this leadership effective? How would you evaluate the leader's overall response?
Conclusion - summarising the key points that you made in the body of your report, including the main theory applied. Do not include new information or any references in a Conclusion. It is simply a summary of previous information.
Reference list - minimum of 6 academic and/or industry-related sources with separate listing for visuals/images.
Please refer to the Task Instructions for details on how to complete this task.
• Ensure your research is referenced effectively and correctly (see below).
• Write in the context of the global hospitality industry.
• Make sure that you understand the topic and focus on the topic - do not drift into irrelevant or unnecessary content. If you do not understand the topic, ask your Learning Facilitator.
• Follow a standard report format (see below).
• The submission will be assessed according to the quality and depth of thought, relevance and how effectively you have applied the subject material and theories to the case study, rather than testing how much you can remember and how theoretically correct it is. Refer to the marking criteria (see rubrics and the end of this document) before submitting, and conduct a self-evaluation.
• Stay within the maximum word count of 1,500 words +/-10% (excluding the Table of Contents, Reference List and Appendices).
Layout and Presentation
Layout and Presentation of your document is as important as your content. Your assessment is designed to demonstrate your understanding of a certain topic, so it is important to ensure that the layout does not compromise this.
The format is report not essay - and this forms part of your grading. Therefore, students are discouraged from writing lengthy verbose sentences displayed in long chunky paragraphs. Rather students are encouraged to follow the suggested Table of Contents and apply additional formatting mechanisms, (in addition to those outlined in the Torrens/BMIHMS Page Formatting Guide) which reduce wordiness and increase the readability of the content and that are consistent with report writing.
Blogs, unauthorised biographies, promotional material, and sensational content must be excluded from the case study report. Students must fully reference all sources of information with in-text citations and a Reference List. A minimum of six (6) academic or recognised industry references are required.
Torrens University Australia uses the APA 7th edition referencing style, and all referencing (both in-text referencing and the Reference List) will be graded according to the APA Academic Writing Guide which can be found on Blackboard. Please note: formal academic referencing will be strictly enforced at Torrens University Australia and Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School and any suspected breaches will be formally reported.
• To be submitted via Blackboard in as a word document - submissions sent by email directly to the Learning Facilitator will not be accepted for grading and returned to Student.
• Standard Torrens University Australia penalties will apply for late submissions, equivalent to 10% of the total assessment marks for each day the submission is late.
All students are responsible for ensuring that all work submitted is their own and is appropriately referenced and academically written according the Academic Writing Guide. Students also need to have read and be aware of Torrens University Australia Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure and subsequent penalties for academic misconduct. These are viewable online.
Students also must keep a copy of all submitted material and any assessment drafts.