Assessment #1: Developing a PICOT question (Graded)
Assessment 1 is 300 words only and is worth 25% of the final grade. This assignment requires you iscuss a potential clinical problem and to construct a searchable question. Asking the right question is an important start to finding the information needed to inform clinical practice. Structuring the in inct?0 ,S th® firsl s,eP of EBP process. Vague, broad, poorly framed questions will most likely result . . lr? T ajd a? 'nabili,y 10 locate useful evidence. As asking a specific and focused question es e development of relevant keywords and an effective search strategy.
Lhe ij°lf Ulati°?' lnterven,ion. Comparison (if appropriate), Outcome. Time (if appropriate)- method should be used to structure the question, (see Appendix 1 for details)
Objectives being assessed
LO1- Apply evidence-based practice (EBP) in the provision of patient care
LO2- Formulate a clinical question to yield the most relevant and best evidence
LO4- Analyse the impact of clinical governance on efficiency and practice standards
• Choose ONE of the topics and describe a clinical problem that is relevant to the selected topic
• Formulate an answerable review question that is relevant to the clinical problem selected.
• The review question will form the focus of assignment 2. and 3. The 'Population, Intervention. Comparison, Outcome. Time (PICOT) method should be used to structure the question. Discussion/ ideas needs to be supported with relevant literature.
• Remember the purpose of this assignment is NOT about answering your review question in your clinical problem.
You must present your assignment 1 using the following headings
Potential clinical problem (250words)
Clinical problems selected for inquiry are generally those encountered in nursing practice and those that deal with modalities of patient care such as support, comfort, prevention of trauma, promotion of recovery, health screening, appraisal and/or assessment, health education, and coordination of health care.
• Provide a clear and concise description of a potential clinical problem and its significance- supported with relevant literature
Review Question (50 words)
The discussion should include
• State the review question using PICOT format and discuss the elements in your PICOT question.
• Provide a rationale for the selection of this review question and how it will impact the development of clinical practice or professional knowledge or research
References (Present on a new page and use the correct APA reference style.)
• There is no set amount of references
• ALL texts must be of academic standard, such as a journal article, textbook, textbook chapter or conference paper proceeding. Assess the quality of content in web sources very carefully.
• Do not cite or reference the module. You may cite and reference the readings linked to in the module.