Assessment 3 Information
Subject Code: DATA4100
Subject Name: Data Visualisation Software
Assessment Title: Individual Report: Creating a Dashboard for a Business Problem (Sports Performance)
Assessment Type: Individual Report
Word Count: 1500 Words (+/-10%)
Weighting: 40 %
Total Marks: 40
Submission: Via Turnitin (as a PDF file)
Due Date: Monday, 23.55pm (AEST), Week 13
This report is to be done individually.
1. An interactive dashboard in Power BI or Tableau illustrating individual and team key performance indicators (relevant variables) for soccer player and team market value
2. Interpretation and project scope report in Microsoft Word
Part A (Practice visualizing and interpreting data): Given a business problem and data, carryout a mini data visualization project.
• The project will entail creating an interactive dashboard and interpreting outcomes. (20 Marks)
Part B (Reflection on the theory regarding visualization projects): Relate the theory that you have learnt in week 8 (How to run a Data Visualisation Project), as well as that from published articles, back to the practice. (15 Marks)
• You will be reflecting on the different parameters that define the scope of a project (as below in the instructions)
Five marks will be awarded for structure and referencing.
Individually complete Part A and Part B of the assessment and submit the assessment as a software file on the Portal plus a Microsoft Word file via Turnitin.
Learning outcomes: LO2, LO3
Business problem: Sports Analytics
The European Football (Soccer) competition is big business! Teams compete with each other for the top spot on the league table. As a business, each team is listed on the stock market and thus you can buy shares in teams and follow the team’s market value in real-time. Increases in market value attracts members, sports gamblers, corporate sponsorship, as well as other financial and social rewards.
Key performance indicators (KPIs) of team market value are variables such as number of times the team play during the season, number of wins, and the combination of players (since each of them also have a market value). The real-time market value of the top premier league soccer players can be found on particular football websites, e.g. transfermarkt.com. These, in turn, influence player transfer value each season.
As in teams, individual market values are determined by key performance indicators. Possible indicators are player ranking, time on the ground and the number of goals kicked.
Business Question: Which variables (as KPIs) correlate with or combine to contribute to the market value of particular players and therefore the entire team’s value? Which team level KPIs appear to be most important in market value? Your dashboard and interpretation should illustrate the KPIs and relationships between them and market value at team and player level.
• You will be provided with data on individual players in English, Spanish, French, German & Italian Premier league soccer teams at the beginning of week 11.
• You will also be given a link to find individual player market value
• You will be allocated a team to focus on by your lecturer and will have to search various stock market pages (Yahoo finance, etc.) yourself to find the market value of that team.
Original Source: (Santos will allocate the teams across all students and issue the player data and links near to the assessment)
• File content: There are 60 variables per player enabling you to do team level and player level analysis and comparisons
Part A: Create and interpret a dashboard.
• After accessing the data and being allocated a team, prepare an interactive dashboard in order to provide insight to the KPIs influencing market value of soccer players. Please have a combination of team level and player level analytics. Show visualisations for at least three high performance soccer players. In constructing the visualisations, also consider best practices, such as the use of pre-attentive attributes.
• Write 1000 words interpreting the visualisations you have created and their implication regarding player & team market values. Address the business question in your analysis:
o Business Question: Which variables (as KPIs) correlate with or combine to contribute to the market value of particular players and therefore the entire team’s value? Which team level KPIs appear to be most important in market value? Your dashboard and interpretation should illustrate the KPIs and relationships between them and market value at team and player level.
• There are many variables and many players to choose from, and given a specific team to work on, you should be able to create a dashboard which differs from those of the other students in your class.
Part B: Reflect on what you have done in this assessment. Imagine that you were going to scale up the project of analysing and visualising this data to all teams and were managing staff and resources allocated to it.
In 500 words provide a plan of how the scoping steps below would apply to your scaled-up project, given the main goal of assessing all possible KPIs influencing soccer team & player market values.
Parameters that define the scope of a project:
• Project Objectives
? provide two main objectives
? Provide four simple goals
? Mention how you would divide the work up over time
? What task would there be to do
? What staff members and resources would you need
? a plausible guess if you were managing analytics staff working on this project
? assuming you scaled the project up for multiple staff to work on, how long would you need to do all the analytics
? A minimum of five references is expected to support any of your ideas. Use Harvard style referencing (see student “My Services Academic Success Centre Study Support Resources” on MyKBS).
? Marks will be allocated for report structure and referencing (see rubric).
Submit Parts A and B via Turnitin on MyKBS. Ensure you submit it as a PDF file.
Assessment Marking Guide
Data Visualisation Software
Section Detail Marks Available
Part A: Visualisations and Interpretation • Design a complete interactive Power BI dashboard (or Tableau dashboard)
• Construct charts that are easy to read and consider pre-attentive attributes
• Interpret dashboard results with the view of determining KPIs influencing market value at a team and individual level and
addressing the business question
• Evaluate the contribution of player market value to that of the overall team
1000 Words + dashboard 20 marks
Part B: Integration of Theory
Relate the theory of project scoping to planning a scaled-up version of their project
Outline and recommend a structured plan for scaling up the analytics interpretation activity, considering
the context of the business case
500 Words 15 marks
Structure and referencing
Structure a report which is concise & having relevant headings & findings
A minimum of five references should be included (using Harvard style referencing) 5 marks
Important Study Information
Academic Integrity Policy
KBS values academic integrity. All students must understand the meaning and consequences of cheating, plagiarism and other academic offences under the Academic Integrity and Conduct Policy.
What is academic integrity and misconduct?
What are the penalties for academic misconduct?
What are the late penalties?
How can I appeal my grade?
Click here for answers to these questions:
Word Limits for Written Assessments
Submissions that exceed the word limit by more than 10% will cease to be marked from the point at which that limit is exceeded.
Students may seek study assistance from their local Academic Learning Advisor or refer to the resources on the MyKBS Academic Success Centre page. Click here for this information.
Students must submit their individual analysis via Turnitin on Monday of Week 13 at 23:55pm AEST.
This file must be submitted as a PDF document to avoid any technical issues that may occur from incorrect file format upload. Uploaded files with a virus will not be considered as a legitimate submission. Turnitin will notify you if there is any issue with the submitted file. In this case, you must contact your lecturer via email and provide a brief description of the issue and a screen shot of the Turnitin error message.
Students are also encouraged to submit their work well in advance of the time deadline to avoid any possible delay with Turnitin similarity report generation or any other technical difficulties.
Late assignment submission penalties
Penalties will be imposed on late assignment submissions in accordance with Kaplan Business School’s Assessment Policy.
Number of days Penalty
1* - 9 days 5% per day for each calendar day late deducted from the student’s total Marks.
10 - 14 days 50% deducted from the student’s total marks.
After 14 days Assignments that are submitted more than 14 calendar days after the due date will not be accepted and the student will receive a mark of zero for the assignment(s).
Note Notwithstanding the above penalty rules, assignments will also be given a mark of zero if they are submitted after assignments have been returned to students.
*Assignments submitted at any stage within the first 24 hours after deadline will be considered to be one day late and therefore subject to the associated penalty.
If you are unable to complete this assessment by the due date/time, please refer to the Special Consideration Application Form, which is available at the end of the KBS Assessment Policy: