Assessment 1: Group Report
Due date Week 8, Friday 12:00pm
Length 10 pages including references
Submission via Turnitin
Requirements You will be part of a group and as a group will prepare a report.
Due to Covid 19 there is an individual option available for students who are unable to be in class – for example if you are still outside of NZ, or in quarantine at the start of the course. Individual option is by application to the lecturer. The individual option will focus be the same report as the group report, but will focus on fewer of the issues, as negotiated with the lecturer.
For this assignment, you will examine an industry or sector in which a large emerging market, such as China or India, is attempting to catch-up or surpass the global leaders in the industry, and how this is being achieved.
The level of analysis for this report is at the industry level.
Your analysis should consider:
1. The global dynamics of the industry/sector;
2. The underlying determinants of competitiveness in the industry/sector;
3. The competitive strategy of the home country government and emerging market multinational (EMNEs);
4. The learning processes of the EMNEs;
5. The competitive response of incumbent competitors;
6. Lessons for other sectors seeking to catch-up.
7. Whether leap-frogging is possible due to market shake-up
Unless discussed and agreed with me marks will be allocated equally to each group member
This assessment must follow the academic integrity guidelines stated in the
Business Programmes Assessment and Study Handbook or the Law Programmes Assessment and Study Handbook and use the required referencing style.
learning goals 1. Be self-aware, critically reflective and ethical international business professionals
2. Be effective thinkers and problem-solvers
3. Be effective communicators (written and oral)
Paper learning outcomes 1. Critically reflect on and discuss the changing nature of the world economy and its implications for international business activity.
2. Critically reflect on and discuss the contemporary structure of the world economy, particularly developed and emerging economies.
4. Critically reflect on and discuss the growth of externalised international business activity including outsourcing, offshoring, contract manufacturing and the rise of the global factory.