Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Trimester T2 2020
Unit Code HC2022
Unit Title Marketing Research
Assessment Type Individual Assignment 1 (Case study analysis)
Assessment Title Individual Report
Purpose of the
assessment (with ULO
Mapping) 1/ Demonstrate theoretical and practical knowledge of Marketing Research in the context of marketing-related business decisions.
2/ The objective of this case is to demonstrate how marketing research has contributed to making a small business into a successful national chain.
Weight 15 % of the total assessments
Total Marks 15
Word limit Not more than 1500 words
Due Date Week 8
Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Blackboard by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, no spacing, 12-pt Arial font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings and page numbers.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using Harvard referencing style.
Page 2 of 3
HC2022 Marketing Research Individual Report
The objective of this case is to demonstrate how marketing research has contributed to making a small business into a successful national chain.
Krispy Kreme has become the American household icon for great-tasting hot doughnuts and coffee. Since its beginning in 1937, the company has grown and spread over the United States. Company executives and store managers credit their success to a limited, consistent-tasting product line and clean and inviting stores that attract consumers across all socioeconomic categories. The company also prides itself on its involvement in charitable and service activities in the communities in which the stores are located.
1. Must watch the video (uploaded on Blackboard under Assignment 1).
2. Answer the following three questions in reference to the video:
a. To succeed in the Global Market, what market research should Krispy Kreme undertake?
b. What market research activities does Krispy Kreme engage in to determine where to build a site?
c. Krispy Kreme is currently facing criticism from low-carb diet practitioners which have lowered sales. How can market research help them deal with this problem? Provide at least examples of approaches that can be applied.
3. Provide some recommendations with evidence support.
Assignment Structure should be as the following:
1. Executive Summary
Background information about the company and marketing research and market research.
3. Define the Problems and discussions
Clearly explain the problem that requires market research
4. Conclusions and Recommendations
Conclude by citing key findings and provide two specific recommendations Krispy Kreme. 5. Reference
HC2022 Marketing Research
Page 3 of 3
Marking criteria Weighting
Summary and Introduction highlight key points that will be covered in the discussions 2
Clearly defined problems to be solved 4
Critical analysis and discussions 4
Key findings and recommendations 3
Overall presentation and referencing 2
TOTAL Weight 15%
Assessment Feedback to the Student:
Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
1 Show the data you have collected. Data collected is very: relevant, well organised and easy to understand. Data collected is: relevant, well organised and easy to understand. Data collected is somewhat:
relevant, well organised and easy to understand Data collected is somewhat: relevant, well organised and easy to understand and contains some errors Data collected is not relevant, disorganised and difficult to understand
2. Accurately analyses the relevant secondary data including recommendations Very accurate analysis of the relevant secondary data
including recommendations Accurate analysis of the relevant secondary data
including recommendations Somewhat
accurate analysis of the relevant secondary data including recommendations Analysis of the relevant secondary data including recommendations, but with some errors Little to no analysis of the relevant secondary data including recommendations
3. Shows knowledge of relevant theory
A deep knowledge of the theory shown Good knowledge of the theory shown Some knowledge of the theory shown Knowledge of the theory shown at times Little to no knowledge of the theory shown
4. Overall presentation and referencing Presentation and referencing are at a high standard Presentation and referencing are at a high-medium standard Presentation and referencing are at a medium standard Presentation and referencing could be improved Presentation and referencing are at a low standard
HC2022 Marketing Research