Swinburne University of Technology School of Business and Law
INF80028 – Business Process Management
Semester 2 2020
Assignment 1 Analysing AS-IS Business Processes for Swinburne Cares Foundation
Due: Monday, 7th Sep. 2020 @ 9:00am AEST
Assessment Value = 20%
This is an Individual Assignment. Your submission should include:
• Submit one copy of the report and Bizagi file.
• Submit report via Turnitin Assignment 1 link on INF80028 Canvas Assessment Assignment 1 Assignment 1 report Submission Link.
• Submit Bizagi file though Bizagi submission link on the
Canvas Assessment Assignment 1 Assessment 1 Model Submission link.
DO NOT email the assignment.
If you have any queries, you may discuss it with your tutor. If you have any technical problems, assistance can be obtained from the Swinburne Service Desk (03) 9214 5000.
Swinburne Cares Foundation (see Assignments 1 & 2 Case description file).
This assignment requires you to demonstrate your understanding of the basic concepts and context of Business Processes and Business Process Management from both a theoretical and practical level. This is to be done in two stages:
Stage 1 (assignment 1), you should provide a review (aimed at the management and staff of the organisation) which requires you to:
1. Select and read academic journal papers (more recent and at least 5) related to Business Process Management, process analysis, design and development. You are required to provide an overview for the management team on BPM trends, why businesses should pay attention on BPM and also why process analysis, design and develop are important to their business (no more than 1000 words).
2. Discuss the current business process(es). There are many issues/problems in the current process. For assignment 1, individual effort, you should provide an overview of all major issues/problems, but only select Two (2) which you consider being the most essential to resolve and discuss them in detail, providing your reasoning. Do not make any specific recommendations at this stage.
3. Construct level 2 models for the current process (see below for details) from the case provided, highlight the current problems and suggest areas for potential improvement but do not provide specific solutions at this stage.
If management concurs with your report, they intend to hire you to complete stage 2 (Assignment 2) which is to make detailed recommendations for improvement by adopting best practices and methodologies. Also, detailed recommendation(s) for long-term improvement of using BPM technologies and consider automation solutions, such as BPMS and RPA.
The description of the case study processes has been provided to you. However, it may need more information in some sections. At the postgraduate level, you are required to do some research to add detail as necessary to the case we provided. You are allowed to make reasonable assumptions based on your experience and research. All assumptions have to be clearly explained in your report.
Your work should include two parts:
Part 1 Business Process Modelling:
There are two sets of processes mentioned in the case description:
1. Donations Process (Cash Donations, Credit Card Donations & Promised Donations)
2. Regular Giving processes (New Donor Process, Process Regular Giving)
In assignment 1, you are required to construct the 5 models (we can call these 5 models as subprocesses). You do not require to provide a main process.
• A process that covers all details for Cash Donations
• A process that covers all details for Credit Card Donations
• A process that covers all details for Promised Donations
• A process that covers all details for Adding New Donor for regular giving people • A process that covers all details for processing Regular giving Model Standard:
• Your models of the case study using Level 2 BPM notation must be an AS-IS diagrams.
• To construct models, you are required to use any process modelling tools (such as all examples we provided in the unit- we used Bizagi modeller – a process modelling tool). Bizagi is commonly used in the industry and is specifically for design business processes. It is free software and easy to use. It has a built-in simulation function which can help to check your designed process models if there are deadlock problems. It also has a built-in function to check error connections of the models. Bizagi is our recommended modelling software. However, as it doesn’t support Mac computers yet, you can choose other process modelling software. However, please make sure it allows you to use all BPMN palettes (pool, lane, tasks, events…). The drawing software selected has to be process oriented. We have provided some suggested modelling tools in the unit outline and on Canvas Modules; please check. If you select a different BPMN software, please also check with your online tutor.
• Model the process(es) in BPMN using the Bizagi Modeler. Bizagi Modeler has a report generator that can output in PDF format. However, this utility outputs much more than diagrams. Furthermore, the diagrams are shrunk to fit the report format. It is therefore unsuitable to use the Bizagi Modeler report generator as is. Instead, simply highlight each diagram in Bizagi, copy and paste it into the report, crop and resize.
• Each diagram should occupy no more than one page and it should be ‘landscape’ format, not a ‘portrait’ format.
• All diagrams in the file must be printable as is, within margins and all diagram elements legible. Layout your diagrams to ensure all contents are readable when your submission is printed on A4 paper. Check the final result is readable. Indecipherable content cannot be assessed and will attract a mark of zero.
• The process modelled should match what you have described in your analysis report.
• The diagrams must be formatted in a logical and elegant way. The diagrams should adhere to the qualities mentioned in lectures and must be legal BPMN.
Part 2 Report
Your report should be no more than 2500 words +/-10%, and it should:
• Select and read academic journal papers (more recent and at least 5) related to Business Process Management, process analysis, design and development. You are required to provide an overview for the management team on BPM trends, and also why process analysis, design and develop are important to their business (no more than 1000 words).
• Describe the organisation, its structure, culture, strategies and how these impact on their processes and on efforts to re-design processes in the future;
• Your assignment should be written in the form of a review aimed at the management and staff of the organisation with the current process and the current issues. There are many issues/problems in the current process. For assignment 1, individual effort, you should provide an overview of all major issues/problems, but only select Two (2) which you consider being the most essential to resolve and discuss them in detail, providing your reasoning. Such as: What are some of the benefits if the problem/issue(s) are addressed? Any assumptions? Any limitations? Do not make any specific recommendations at this stage. The detailed suggested changes will be addressed specifically in assignment 2.
• Model documentation: for each of the models provided, you are required to provide a brief explanation for each of the activities (what are the key steps required to complete the activity) and gateways (the purpose of the gateways) covered in the model. It is always a good idea to use a table(s) to summarize these details. Such as the following example. Each model will include tasks and gateways, you should explain them so the readers can understand what you try to present.
Tasks & Gateways Names Brief explanation
Check applications When application submitted, Faculty admin staff will check all student applications, such as if all required documents included and are all forms correctly filled … if anything missing, admin staff will contact students to resubmit. After all documents received, they will enter all details into the database system and send email to relevant academic staff for further process.
(Submission documents correct?) If ‘yes’, go to the task ‘Enter details’; If ‘no’, go to the task ‘Contact Students’.
Please note that you may need research to get further information.
Just submit a single MSWord document. Archives with multiple files and/or subfolders will not be accepted.
• A word-processed report with no more than 2500 +/- 10% words which includes:
o Executive Summary (not included in the word count) o Table of Contents (not included in the word count) o Introduction
o Business Background and any assumptions made (for example on business conditions)
o The main body (Discussion addressing the Task Requirements)
o Conclusion: Explain what you need to do next and how to prepare the process re-design project. (e.g., Do you need to identify priorities, requirements? Do you need to conduct a feasibility analysis and stakeholder analysis? Any issues which will influence management decisions for the process re-design and development? Should you set a change management plan? …. it has to be brief, you do not need to provide a detailed analysis at this stage.). Do not make recommendations on how to fix the current process(es) or problems as you will do this in assignment 2. o References (not included in the word count)
You MUST use the Harvard Referencing style throughout your report and include an accurate list of references at the end of the report. You can access the correct style from the library: Harvard System
(http://www.swin.edu.au/lib/guides/harvard_system.pdf ) o Appendices (BPMN diagrams should be in the appendix)
• Pages of the report should have appropriate headers and footers and should include printed page numbers
• Font size 12 and 1.5-line spacing
• On the front page of all assessments submitted you must include:
o Full names and student IDs
o Unit code and name, assessment number, due date and % weighting
Late submission may result in a lower grade for the assignment as described in the University's Extensions and Late Penalties policies. Please refer to the unit outline for further details
Any request for extension must be directed to the convenor using the Application for Extension form available in the Assessment section on Blackboard before the assignment due date. You must include appropriate supporting documentation such as a doctor's certificate or a letter from your employer. These forms may be scanned and emailed to the convener.
Sample Grade Descriptions for Assignment one report
The grade descriptions represent features typically to be found in work at each grade level; they do not attempt to match or describe precisely the work of any individual student.
HD – (80 - 100)
Produced a word-processed report demonstrating a clear understanding of the concepts and issues relevant to the tasks, and their wider implications in a substantiated view that was organised and cohesive. Demonstrated a very high level of scholarship. Used fluent and persuasive language, with assurance and precision, to achieve a highly effective communication for the reader.
D – (70 - 80)
Produced a word-processed report that demonstrated an understanding of the complexities of the concepts and issues relevant to the tasks. Achieved effective selection and ordering of ideas. Demonstrated a high level of scholarship. Presented a view on the topic with confidence, using fluent and persuasive language.
C – (60 - 70)
Produced a word-processed report that identified major aspects of the tasks. Demonstrated an adequate level of scholarship. Achieved a coherent ordering of ideas and expressed a view in clear and accurate language.
P – (50 - 60)
Produced a word-processed report that identified some aspects of the tasks. Demonstrated some evidence of scholarship. Presented some ideas relevant to the topic. Demonstrated adequate organisation and language control.
UNSATISFACTORY – ( 50)
Made some attempt at attaining a Pass Grade for the assignment.
NOT SUBMITTED – (0)
Did not attempt doing the assignment.