Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Trimester T2 2020
Unit Code HI6008
Unit Title Business Research Project
Assessment Type 2. Group* Report on Literature Review
Assessment Title Literature Review
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) This assessment item seeks to ensure that all students enrolled in the Capstone Unit – Business Research Project – are adept at sourcing relevant and current literature using academic search portals, such as Pro-Quest, and other places where high quality secondary data resides.
Furthermore, this assessment requires students to not only read and summarise what other authors have already established, but also to become skilful at weaving together
complementary or contrasting arguments relevant to their approved topic, research problem, and research question(s).
Relates to Unit Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3 and 5
Weight 30 % of the total assessments
Total Marks 30
Word limit At least 2500 words for the Literature Review
Due Date Friday of Week 8 [late submission will attract penalties]
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Blackboard by 12 midnight on the due date, along with a completed Assignment Cover Page. [If no cover page your mark will be reduced -20%]
• The group members’ names and student numbers listed on the Cover Page must align with the members officially registered in your group. [any errors or omissions may affect your grade and there is no guarantee of any adjustment]
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, single spacing, 12-pt Arial font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings, paragraphing, and page numbers.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list, all using Harvard referencing style.
• Include as an Appendix, your group statement of ‘who wrote which sections’)
*Note: Students will already be registered in assignment groups of 3 or 2 or 1 (same as for assignment 1).
Assignment 2 Specifications
This unit aims to give you an opportunity to combine many facets of your acquired MBA skills into the production of a high-quality research project.
Assignment 2 - the Literature Review - is designed to ensure that each team member masters the skills of searching, locating, reading, summarising, and using relevant academic literature and secondary data to create a compelling discussion and/or argument, thereby creating the context for their further research in pursuit of the answer to their research question(s).
Your tutor will LEAD and FACILITATE you through the process, week by week. The learning will be progressive, so for best results you will need to be listening to the weekly recorded lectures as well as participating in the interactive tutorials and discussion board.
Assignment Structure should be the following:
1. An opening statement of the Research Problem and research Question(s) – these should now be more detailed than what you had in your Topic Approval.
2. Discussion of major theories, models or streams of influence around this topic. This provides your lecturer with evidence that you have gone deeper than your initial search now to find literature that leads you toward answering your research question
3. Draw the reader’s attention to any contrasting views expressed in prior research in this area and give your view of how differing opinions can be brought together to help answer the research question and ultimately resolve the research problem. [the more comprehensive your literature review, the better. Whatever you do NOT find out in this literature review will leave you with more work to do when you move to the next part of the project, i.e. methodology]
4. Report how it has brought you closer to an answer to your research question(s).
5. Ensure all in text citations are correctly referenced.
6. Add a comprehensive List of References, in Harvard referencing style. [Students please be warned that errors in referencing attract suspicion of plagiarism/academic misconduct and may require detailed investigation, prompting a request for further information from you regarding your sources. It is always essential that academic integrity is upheld and any breach thereof may lead to a mark of ZERO and a report of academic misconduct. Don’t take a chance!]
7. Append a statement indicating ‘who wrote which sections of this report’
HI6008 Assignment 2 – Literature Review - Marking Rubric
4-5 marks Very Good
3-4 marks Good
2-3 marks Satisfactory
1-2 marks Unsatisfactory
Identification of appropriate Body of Knowledge
[Max 5 marks] Cited sources are all current and relevant Cited sources are mostly current and relevant Cited sources are somewhat current and relevant Cited sources are marginally current and relevant Irrelevant or poorly-selected sources
Depth of literature search
[Max 5 marks]
The sources provide an excellent depth of contextual understanding The sources provide a very good depth of contextual understanding The sources provide a good depth of contextual understanding The sources provide a satisfactory depth of contextual understanding Insufficient depth
Quality of Literature Sourced
[Max 5 marks]
At least 12 additional sources of excellent quality At least 12 additional sources of very high quality At least 10 additional sources of high quality At least 8 additional sources of satisfactory quality Low quality literature, lack of academic sources, or less than 8 relevant sources
Structure of the Literature Review
[max 5 marks]
The literature review is extremely well-structured, with sub-sections and logical paragraphing The literature review is very well-structured, with sub-sections and logical paragraphing The literature review is well-structured, with sub-sections and logical paragraphing The literature review is sufficiently structured, with sub-sections and logical paragraphing No or little logical structure
Design, content and flow of discussions or arguments
[Max 4 marks]
The literature review is exceptionally well-designed, with interesting and well-formulated discussion or argument that makes for compelling reading The literature review is very well-designed, with interesting and well-formulated discussion or argument that makes for very good reading The literature review is well-designed, with interesting discussion or argument that makes for good reading The literature review is sufficiently well-designed, with discussion or argument at least worthy of reading Difficult to make sense of what is written; significant grammatical or spelling mistakes. Not of a sufficiently high standard for an MBA Capstone Project.
Referencing (in-text and reference list)
[Max 4 marks] Excellent in all respects, both in-text and the reference list Very good in all respects, both in-text and the reference list Good in-text and the reference list Satisfactory in both in-text and the reference list Unsatisfactory referencing
Appendix (who wrote what)
[Max 2 marks]
Note to Marker: No Cover Sheet -20%. Check for statement of ‘Who Wrote What’