A SSESSMENT 2 BRIEF
Subject Code and Title MGT502 Business Communication
Assessment Discussion Forum Report
Length 900 words
Learning Outcomes This assessment addresses the following Subject Learning Outcomes:
a) Apply research, academic and communication skills appropriate to the level of study and observe academic referencing requirements
b) Critically analyse texts and/or multimedia material in both a business and academic context
c) Identify and apply effective communication methods within a business and academic environment
d) Evaluate the use and importance of technology within a business environment
Submission 12 Week Delivery:
Forum Post: Due by 11:55 pm AEDT Friday of Module 2.1 (Week 3)
Discussion Report:Week 8: Due by 11.55pm AEDT Friday of Module 4.2
Forum Post: Intensive class: Due by 11:55 pm AEDT Friday of Module 2 (week 2)
Discussion Report:Week 5: Due by 11.55pm AEDT Friday of Module 5
Weighting 30 %
Total Marks 30 marks
Business communication can either be internal, within a business organisation, or external, between the organisation and its existing and potential customers. This assessment supports students in developing their skills and knowledge in selected business communication methods, including an examination of the theoretical underpinnings of communication in business.
This assessment has been designed to:
• Appraise students’ ability to academically research and evaluate characteristics of effective business communication.
• Apply critical thinking skills utilising supporting evidence to justify arguments.
• Students are expected to demonstrate practical understanding of application of business communication skills and their importance in professional development.
Assessment 2 consists of three (3) parts.. For an acceptable result, you must submit all three parts. Students are required to summarise their Discussion Forum Post from Module 2.1, to critique a peers submission and to reflect on their learnings. The topic is decided by the learning facilitator and post on the Week 1 announcements.
Part 1 Discussion Forum Post: Analyse characteristics of exemplary business communication (300 words)
Investigate the form of business communication chosen by the facilitator and research what makes it effective. Critically analyse specific characteristics and justify your choices. Consider using examples to back up your statements.
Key points to consider in your initial post:
• Your post should analyse ideal characteristics of a specific type of business communication.
• Include justifications for your chosen characteristics.
• Consider using one or more specific examples to add value to your post.
• You must include reference to literature. o Use at least 2 in-text citations per post. o Reference the book, article, or document using APA 6th style in the reference list.
Part 2: Critique one peer post (from Discussion Forum submitted in Module 2.1) (300 words) Instructions:
Each student is required to critique an original post of a peer.
Your critique should include commentary on:
• Whether the original post is comprehensive. Please identify missing components, if any, and provide constructive feedback.
• Have all plausible characteristics been identified?
• Are one or more examples provided? Provide a critique on the examples and their suitability in supporting statements.
• You must include reference to literature. o Use at least 4 in-text citations per part.
o Reference the book, article, or document using APA 6th style in the final reference list.
Part 3: Summarise learning (300 words) Instructions:
Each student is required to reflect on:
• How your views of effective business communication have changed since your original post.
• What are the 3 key points you have learned from the discussions during this course and how you can apply that knowledge in the future.
• Give one or more practical examples of how to apply peer review in your professional development.
• You must include reference to the literature. o Use at least 4 in-text citations per part. o Reference the book, article, or document using APA 6th style in the final reference list.
Please ensure you submit your Discussion Forum Report by 11:55 pm AEST
Students are responsible for:
• Staying within the word limit
• Keeping drafts and backups of their assignment
• Submitting the assignment via Blackboard by the due date
• Ensuring their assignment is written and submitted while observing and committing to the Academic Integrity policy
Please note that if you require an extension for this assignment, you must apply using the university application form and provide verifiable evidence of extenuating circumstances before the due date and include your most recent draft. Please also treat the prescribed word limit as a limit not to be breached.
It is essential that you use the appropriate APA style for citing and referencing research. Please see more information on referencing here http://library.laureate.net.au/research_skills/referencing
Submit your initial post via the Assessment 2 Discussion Forum link in the Assessment section found in the main navigation menu of the subject Blackboard site.
A rubric will be attached to the assessment. The Learning Facilitator will provide feedback via the Grade Centre in the LMS portal. Feedback can be viewed in My Grades.
Your assessment will be marked against the rubric which is shown on the next pages. Please ensure that your submission addresses all four of the Assessment Attributes in the rubric.
Assessment Attributes Fail (Unacceptable) 0-49% Pass
(Proficient) 65-74% Distinction
75 -84% High Distinction
Knowledge and understanding of the chosen form of business communication
Percentage for this
Limited understanding of required concepts and knowledge
Key components of the assignment are not addressed.
Knowledge or understanding of the field or discipline.
Resembles a recall or summary of key ideas.
Often confuses assertion of personal opinion with information substantiated by evidence from the research/course materials.
Thorough knowledge or understanding of the field or discipline/s. Supports personal opinion and information substantiated by evidence from the research/course materials.
Demonstrates a capacity to explain and apply relevant concepts.
Highly developed understanding of the field or discipline/s.
Discriminates between assertion of personal opinion and information substantiated by robust evidence from the research/course materials and extended reading.
Well demonstrated capacity
to explain and apply relevant concepts.
A sophisticated understanding of the field or discipline/s.
Systematically and critically discriminates between assertion of personal opinion and information substantiated by robust evidence from the research/course materials and extended reading.
Mastery of concepts and application to new situations/further learning.
Analysis and application with synthesis of new knowledge
Percentage for this
Limited synthesis and analysis.
Limited application based upon analysis.
Demonstrated analysis and synthesis of new knowledge with application.
Shows the ability to interpret relevant information and literature.
Well-developed analysis, synthesis, and application linked to analysis/synthesis.
Thoroughly developed and creative analysis and synthesis with application of pretested models and / or independently developed models and justified arguments linked to analysis/synthesis.
Highly sophisticated and creative analysis, synthesis of new with existing knowledge.
Strong application by way of pretested models and / or independently developed models. Arguments are clearly justified based on the analysis/synthesis.
MGT502_Assessment_2_Brief_Discussion Forum_Module 4.2 Page 5 of 6
Applying knowledge to new situations/other cases.
Percentage for this
Difficult to understand for audience, no logical/clear structure, poor flow of ideas, argument lacks supporting evidence.
Audience cannot follow the line of reasoning.
Information, arguments and evidence are presented in a way that is not always clear and logical.
Line of reasoning is often difficult to follow.
Information, arguments and evidence are well presented, mostly clear flow of ideas and arguments.
Line of reasoning is easy to follow.
Information, arguments and evidence are very well presented; the presentation is logical, clear and well supported by evidence.
Demonstrates cultural sensitivity.
Expertly presented; the presentation is logical, persuasive, and well supported by evidence, demonstrating a clear flow of ideas and arguments.
Engages and sustains audience’s interest in the topic, demonstrates high levels of cultural sensitivity.
Correct citation of key
resources and evidence
Percentage for this
Demonstrates inconsistent use of good quality, credible and relevant resources to support and develop ideas
Demonstrates use of credible and relevant resources to support and develop ideas, but these are not always explicit or well developed.
Demonstrates use of credible resources to support and develop ideas.
Demonstrates use of good quality, credible and relevant resources to support and develop arguments and statements.
Demonstrates use of high- quality, credible and relevant resources to support and develop arguments and position statements.
Show evidence of wide scope within the organisation for sourcing evidence.
Show evidence of wide scope within and without the organisation for sourcing evidence.
MGT502_Assessment_2_Brief_Discussion Forum_Module 4.2 Page 6 of 6