Student Number: (enter on the line below)
Student Name: (enter on the line below)
HS1011 Data Communications and Networks
Online Supplementary Assessment
Trimester 1, 2020
This assessment consists of three (3) sections.
10 Multiple choice questions. Each question is worth one (1) mark. (Total 10 marks)
Critical Thinking cases questions. (Total 10 marks)
Answer SIX questions out of EIGHT short answer questions. (Total 30 marks)
This assessment accounts for 50 total marks.
Section I = 10 marks
Section II = 10 marks
Section III = 30 marks
Total marks = 50 marks
All questions must be answered by using the answer boxes provided in this paper.
SECTION I: Multiple Choice Questions 10 marks
Answer all Ten (10) questions and enter your responses in the table below which will appear in red:
Question 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
1. You are the network administrator for a company and you want to separate the traffic from the accounting department from the rest of the network. However, the accounting department still needs to have access to other network resources. What type of network do you need to implement?
d. wireless network
2. You have just started a new business. You need to have three to four workstations available for your employees who simply need to share some files and a printer, but you don’t have a large budget. Security is not a major concern, but costs are. What type of network would be the most appropriate for your situation?
c. peer-to-peer network
d. server-based network
3. Which of the following is NOT a function of a hub?
a. cleans up the signal
b. transmits the signal to the correct port
c. receives the signal from a connected computer on one of its ports
d. regenerates the signal
4. Just as a switch keeps records of MAC addresses that it has learned, so does your computer. What protocol does your computer use to learn MAC addresses?
5. Which of the following is true about collisions?
a. They can only happen with switches
b. They are a problem with Token Ring networks
c. They can occur on Ethernet half-duplex networks
d. Fewer computers means more collisions
6. What is an advantage of a point-to-point topology?
a. data travels on a dedicated link
b. provides redundancy and fault tolerance
c. relatively inexpensive
d. a reliable and fast backbone
7. What are all of the connections in a network considered, including the cables and their connectors?
a. telecommunications closet
b. horizontal wiring
c. work area
d. cable plant
8. The entrance facility is the place where the connection to a WAN is located. It is the point where the LAN equipment ends and a third-party provider's equipment and cabling begins. What is another name for this point?
a. departure point
b. entrance point
c. demarcation point
d. main distribution point
9. In which layer does a router operate?
a. Network Access
10. Which of the following is a function of the Application layer?
a. Provides frame error detection in the form of a CRC code
b. Routes packets through an internetwork
c. Protects data with a checksum
d. Data formatting and translation
SECTION II: Critical Thinking Cases Questions 10 marks
Critical Thinking Case 1: (5 Marks)
B&C Corporation wants an affordable way to establish remote connections for its salespeople, who log on from customer sites all over the country, and its three branch offices. The company's main office is in Sydney, and its branch offices are in Melbourne, Brisbane, and Perth. Explain:
a. What kind of connections the salespeople and branch offices should use?
ANSWER: ** Answer box will enlarge as you type
b. What kinds of services should be installed on the main office's network to keep communication costs to a minimum?
Critical Thinking Case 2: (5 Marks)
A small research company in Melbourne is working to develop a new method of mass storage to replace current hard drive technology. Four engineers and an office manager work there. The engineers are highly skilled professionals, and the office manager is a capable computer user. The company has an always-on Internet connection because employees must conduct research frequently. The employees have hopes of making a breakthrough and bringing the company public within the next two years. You have been hired as a security consultant to assess the company's needs. Make a recommendation on:
a. On what areas should the security policy focus (physical security, data security, auditing, passwords, and so forth)?
b. What technologies should be used to secure these areas?
SECTION III: Short Answer Questions 30 marks
Answer SIX questions out of EIGHT.
Question 1: (5 Marks)
What is the difference between a LAN and a WAN?
Question 2: (5 Marks)
What is the difference between an intranet and an extranet?
Question 3: (5 Marks)
What are the key differences between a switch and a router?
Question 4: (5 Marks)
In a physical bus topology, why do the ends of the cable have to be terminated?
Question 5: (5 Marks)
List five criteria you should consider when choosing media.
Question 6: (5 Marks)
Describe the difference between a digital signal and an analog signal.
Question 7: (5 Marks)
What are four tasks or responsibilities of the Internetwork layer?
Question 8: (5 Marks)
What is a security policy? What types of policies should be included in a security policy?
END OF SUPPLEMENTARY ASSESSMENT