MCR003 Management Attributes and Skills Individual Assessment
Due Week 8 - Sunday 12th July at 11.55pm
Length - 1500 words ( +/- 10%)
You must analyse and research on one of the following successful business leaders:
• Tim Cook (Apple)
• Alan Joyce (Qantas)
• Christine Holgate (Australia Post)
• Jack Ma (AliBaba)
• Mike Cannon - Brookes (Atlassian)
• Sheryl Sandberg (Facebook)
• Jeff Bezos (Amazon)
• Mary Barra (General Motors)
Or current business leader of your choice (approval has to be sought from your Lecturer first).
You will be required to prepare an essay covering the following areas listed below:
• Background of the leader (relevant to their current role eg education/work history)
• Explain what skills and competencies have contributed to their success
• How would you describe his/her management/leadership -style-? Give details/examples.
• Identify two key challenges they have faced and assess how they dealt with the situation
• What have you learnt about management and leadership from studying them?
The essay needs to have a clear and coherent structure, be clearly expressed, with few errors. In your essay refer to at least eight (8) references, at least five (5) of which need to be current academic references no older than 2010. An academic reference is a journal article or academic book. It is likely you will also have references from websites and news media about the leader
Essays must be submitted via the Turnitin link on Moodle by the due date. Late submissions will lose 5% per day up until day 5. After this a zero mark will be awarded.
Essays must be submitted in Microsoft Word using the Harvard referencing system. Students must acknowledge the source of all articles used using the Harvard System. You must reference any material you use which is not your own.
Individual essay rubric (25 marks)
5 4 3 2 1 0
1. Leader's Background
Up to 5 marks Comprehensively described the leader’s background. Effectively described the leader’s background. Described the leader’s background, but could have provided detail Superficially described the leader’s background and provided Failed to adequately describe the leader’s background. Failed to describe the leader's background.