Assessment 3 Information
Subject Code: ACCM4200
Subject Name: Advanced Financial Accounting
Assessment Title: Assessment 3
Assessment Type: Individual Assignment and Video presentation
Submission: Via Turnitin-written report; Via Moodle-video presentation
Due Date: Monday week 10
• You are required to prepare a business letter to answer all of the following questions.
• You are also required to prepare a short video presentation (3 to 5 mins) summarising the key issues you have addressed in your letter.
Assume that you are a team of graduate accountants working for Pitcher Group Ltd, a public accounting firm Situated at 346 Gregory Avenue, Melbourne, VIC 3000. The Manager of your firm, Ms. Michelle Pitcher has asked you to draft a letter in response to an email received from a client – Mr. Andrew Dixon, the Managing Director of Dixon Ltd, raising several accounting issues
– see the copy of the email on the next page.
The maximum length for the body of the letter is 1,000 words. You should address all the technical issues/discussion in the letter, followed by a Reference List.
• Part A: Technical component 10% - This mark covers the technical content of your advice and the explanation on each of the issues, the calculations, and the sources used.
• Part B: Communication Skills – Letter Writing 5% - This mark covers the generic skills of Letter writing; layout, clear meaning, structure and organisation, appropriate tone and grammar, spelling, and punctuation, etc. throughout the whole assignment.
• Part C: Communication Skills – Video Presentation 5% - You have to prepare a 3-5 minute video presentation that will keep the audience engaged; the presentation should be well- rehearsed and supplementary material, such as slides and visual aids must be of a professional standard.
Re: Accounting Issues: Year Ending 30 June 2020
From: Andrew Dixon (firstname.lastname@example.org) Sent: 5 March 2020
To: Michelle Pitcher (email@example.com)
Issue 1: At our recent board meeting, several directors raised concerns about spending too many man hours (and dollars I must say) on accounting for future tax consequences. Their biggest argument was that as long as the tax man is happy and we are not cheating on our tax returns, then we are simply wasting money in accounting for temporary differences and deferred tax assets (DTAs) and deferred tax liabilities (DTLs) (which I must admit is a mystery to me). Do you have any problems if we do not account for the DTAs and DTLs and just account for the current tax liability?
Issue 2: At our recent board meeting several directors raised concerns about an intangible asset relating to the brand name ‘Ezi Kleen’ which has been successfully developed by the business over the past years. The directors want to recognize $900,000 for this asset as at 30 June 2020, being a
‘directors’ valuation’. We also spent about $100,000 for branding research. Could you please provide advice on the correct presentation of such intangible assets?
Please respond by letter (not email) as I would like to present this to the Board. I look forward to hearing from you shortly.
Managing Director, Dixon Ltd Level 6, 510 King William Street, Adelaide SA 5000
• The assignment (both the word document and the video file) will need to be submitted electronically through the student portal – use the link under “Assessments”.
• Any sources that you use need to be acknowledged in order to avoid plagiarism.
Information on referencing can be found in the Guidelines for Referencing and Presentation at the Kaplan website using the following address: (https://elearning.kbs.edu.au/mod/page/view.php?id=128881).
In-Text Referencing and the Reference List
• Sources of information must be cited both in the body of the text (in-text referencing) and
the end of the assignment (reference list). Failure to do so will result in penalties.
Remember that when referencing an Annual Report, it is a corporate document that does not have a particular author but it will still require referencing any time you use information from it. Any other documents or books or other references you use will also require referencing.
• Any work which has been copied or shared between students will result in a Fail grade for all students concerned. Therefore, please make sure that the answer to this assignment is your work and not copied or bought from any source. In completing this assignment make sure you follow the guidelines for assignments especially those relating to the presentation of written work, late assignment policy and academic integrity