Assessment 2 –
The Challenge of Leadership Today - Essay
This document contains the details for Assessment 2 for BUMGT5970 Leadership. Included are aspects such as:
• The assessment overview and report structure;
• How the assessment is to be formatted; and
• How it will be assessed by using an Assessment Criteria Sheet.
You should read this along with the Course Description, which includes information on due dates, submission, etc. If you are not clear on any aspect, please speak with your lecturer who will be happy to answer your questions.
Overview of the Assignment
You are required to demonstrate your ability to critically analyse and theoretical developments in leadership understanding with regard to current research and practical application for today’s leaders.
You are to write a 1500 word essay where you discuss what you consider to be the major challenges of leadership in today’s world.
Your essay needs to show evidence of reading widely on this topic and you should draw on at least six (6) academic articles. You must consider the following questions:
1. What are the challenges of leading an organisation in today’s world?
2. What needs to change in the way we frame and understand leadership if we are to meet the challenges of leading in such complex and uncertain times?
3. What would be your main recommendations for improving the quality of leadership development programs? Comment on how your recommendations would help to address some of the limitations of approaches used to date to develop both leaders and leadership.
You can draw on the following white paper, The Challenges Leaders Face Around the World: More Similar than Different (Gentry, Eckert, Stawiski & Zhao, 2016) for inspiration and initial thoughts:
“The life of a modern-day leader clearly is not easy. Inside their organizations, they need to lead and motivate a diversified group of people, work across organizational boundaries, improve efficiency, and achieve growth. Externally, they face a complex and globalized environment; they have to manage the requirements of government, keep up with competitors, and meet the expectations of other stakeholders. And within this global environment, there are many cultural considerations leaders must face to be effective. They must work across cultural boundaries and alongside others who, at times, are very different from them and have different ways of getting work completed”
The following is a SUGGESTED structure only, an example for how you might like to structure to organise your essay: Title page
Key challenges (this is where you identify challenges, discuss and suggest new ways of thinking about these)
Conclusion and Recommendations
General Formatting Requirements for the Report
For those students who are unfamiliar or do not feel confident with academic writing, there are many sources on the Federation University and Library websites. The formatting of assignments should adhere to the following requirements:
• Report format
• Follow the headings outlined under the Assignment Instructions section
• Use a report Title page containing all of the relevant information
• Correct page numbering (e.g., the Cover Page is not numbered, the number format for the Executive Summary and the Table of Contents is i, ii, etc. The body of the report starting with the Introduction is numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.)
• Do not write in the first or second person (I, we, our)—write in the third person only
• Proof-read before submission for spelling, grammatical and logic errors
• Fonts should be plain and easy to read (e.g., Tahoma, Arial, Times New Roman)
• Font size is typically between 10 and 12 for the body of the assignment
• Paragraphs are to be fully justified
• Paragraph spacing typically uses one space before and after a paragraph
• Any tables and diagrams used should be labelled (they do not form part of the word count)
• APA referencing style to be used (information on this can be found at the following link: http://federation.edu.au/current-students/learning-and-study/online-help-with/referencing)
Assessment Criteria Sheet
BUMKT5902 Marketing Management
Assessment 2 – The Challenges of Leadership Today - Essay – Rubric
Criteria Weight F (0-49) P (50-59) C (60-69) D (70-79) HD (80+)
Introduction 5% Little or no attempt to provide an introduction to
the essay An attempt made to provide an overview of the document. Purpose of the essay lacks clarity. Outlines some, but not all, elements of the document. Attempt made to outline purpose of the essay. Accurately outlines many important elements of the document, purpose of the essay is clear Accurately and succinctly outlines all critical elements of the document, purpose of the essay articulated clearly and concisely.
Identifies issues/problems within leadership today 5% No identification of relevant current and/or potential issues with the context are identified Identifies and describes a few of the relevant current and/or potential
issues/problems within the context Identifies and describes some of the relevant current and/or potential issues/problems within the context Identifies and clearly describes most of the relevant current and potential issues/problems within the context Identifies and clearly and concisely describes all the relevant current and potential issues/problems within the context
Apllies theory in context to form appropriate solutions 30% Little or no analysis or reasoning is evident An attempt at analysis but reasoning is unclear or poorly expressed Analaysishas some substance but reasoning is inconcsistent and tends to lack focus Analyis is substantial and reasoning generally effective Analysis is extensive and insightful and reasoning clearly articulated
Recommendations 30% Very limited or no ability to identify and present
recommendations. Lack of
links to key
points/arguments made in the document Attempts to identify and present recommendations. Limited links to key points/arguments made in the document. Appropriate recommendations are outlined and summarised, with some links to key points/arguments made in the document Insightful
recommendations using sound and informed judgements, which are well-supported and related to key points/arguments made in the doucment Highly ind=sightful recommendations using logical, reasoned and informed judfgements, which are well-supported and clearly tied to the key points/arguments made in the document.
Structure and organisation of writing 10% There is little or no organisation, lacking structure, paragraphing, etc. Some organisation present but logic/arguments lack clarity and/or conciseness Organisation is present, there may be some inconsistencies with organisation and structure of logic/arguments but generally easy to follow; writing is mostly clear but
parts may lack conciseness Writing is generally well organised, structure includes introduction, body and conclusion and most logic/arguments are easy to follow; writing is mostly clear and generally easy to follow Writing is coherently organised, introduction, body and conclusion are sophisticated, and the logic/arguments are easy to follow; writing is clear, concise and persuasive.
Use of references to support arguments 20% Limited or no ability to use relevant resources and/or support arguments. Reference style nonexistent. Occasionally uses relevant resources to support arguments. Minimal attempts to follow the reference style guide. Relevant resources are used to support arguments most of the time. Attempts to follow the reference style guides. Relevant resources are used to support arguments throughout. Reference style guides generally adhered to. Relevant resources are expertly used to support arguments throughout. Reference style guides completely adhered to.