Australian Catholic University
BIOL122 – Human Biological Science 2
Assignment 2 - Vodcast (oral presentation)
Overview of assignment 2
14/05/2020, 4 pm.
Length and/or format:
Purpose: You will have the opportunity to describe the pathophysiology and pharmacological management for a ‘person/client’ who has either type II diabetes or cancer (either breast or prostate) by making a Vodcast - these conditions have been identified as National Health Priority Areas according to the Australian Institute for Health and Welfare. This assignment will also help you to demonstrate effective communication in oral and written English language and visual media.
Learning outcomes assessed: LO2, LO3
How to submit:
Online via the BIOL122 LEO site
Return of assignment:
Marks to be released via the BIOL122 LEO site within 3 weeks of the assessment
Assessment criteria: Marking rubric (at the end of this document)
• This assessment task requires you to make a 5-minute Vodcast presentation (a video with audio, written text and pictures/diagrams) about type II diabetes or cancer (breast or prostate). The Vodcast will be assessed according to the following: 1. Coverage of subject matter, 2. Accuracy of information, 3. Clarity of material and 4. Client background, timing and referencing
• Your Vodcast has to be about a specific ‘person/client’ who has either type II diabetes or cancer (breast or prostate).
• If you are repeating BIOL122, your vodcast will need to about the topic you did not cover previously
(eg. You need to choose cancer if you have already submitted a vodcast on type II diabetes)
• You will need to create your own ‘person/client’ according to the following criteria*.
‘Person/client’ criteria For example For example Fill in for your
What is their name? Phillip Nguyen Julie McRoberts
What is their gender? Male Female
What is their age? 50 years old 68 years old
What condition do they have? (type II diabetes or cancer) Type II diabetes mellitus Breast cancer
Are they a within a healthy weight range? Overweight Overweight
Do they exercise? Occasionally Walks with a friend every morning
What is their occupation? Accountant Retired teacher – cares for two grandchildren under 5 years of age three times a week.
What is their living status? Phillip lives with his wife and two children Julie has an adult family and lives on her own since her husband died 3 years ago
What is their family medical history? Father died of complications related to diabetes mellitus Julie’s Mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Are they pregnant? NA NA
Are they a smoker? Has tried smoking a few times No
What is their alcohol intake? Enjoys a glass of wine with his meal every night Enjoys a glass of wine at social occasions
What medications or treatments have they been prescribed?# Metformin Mastectomy
*The examples listed in the table above are suggestions; you need to create your own ‘person/client’.
• You will then be required to answer a series of specific questions that relate directly to your ‘person/client’ and the condition she or he has. All of your answers must be specific for this person; marks will not be given where your presentation does not relate to the person you have ‘created’.
• The specific questions are listed below.
• You will need to research your topic; please ensure that you keep a record of any references that you have used.
• You will be required to write an annotated bibliography as part of this assignment. An annotated bibliography provides information regarding how you used the research to support your assignment.
• You will be required to write an annotated bibliography as part of this assignment. An annotated bibliography provides information regarding how you used the research to support your assignment. For example, you may have used the following journal article:
• Wu, Y. and Ding, Y. (2014). Risk factors contributing to Type II Diabetes. International Journal of Medical Sciences 11:1185-1200.
• I used this article to examine the risk factors for diabetes mellitus. It is a reliable source as it is peer reviewed.
• Your annotated bibliography should contain 6 to 10 citations.
• To create your assignment:
1. Use a computer and make your Vodcast with Powerpoint using the audio function: this produces a file that can be submitted to LEO.
• It is expected that you will use some figures or visual aids to help enhance your presentation.
• Staff assessing Vodcasts will stop listening at the 5 minute mark; please ensure that you keep to time.
• Your Vodcast should not exceed 50 MB. You will not be able to upload your Vodcast file to LEO if it is more than 50 MB.
• The Vodcast needs to be your own original work; you cannot include YouTube clips or other videos as part of your Vodcast.
• If you do not have access to a media source to make your Vodcast please contact the LIC.
• Please be mindful that it can sometimes take 5-10 minutes to upload and submit your Vodcast file to LEO; please do not leave submission until the last minute.
• LEO guides on how to submit your Vodcast are available on LEO.
• It is your responsibility to check that your Vodcast has been submitted successfully. To do this you will need to go to a different computer, log onto LEO and open your Vodcast to check that you can see the visual material and hear the audio content.
• To create your Vodcast with Powerpoint using the audio function, the following video from Lynda.com explains how to embed audio onto a PowerPoint file.
Please access this link as it is possible for the audio recording to be saved to your hard drive rather than your Vodcast file.
Check-list for this assignment
? I have chosen a condition (either type II diabetes or cancer).
? If I am a repeating student I have chosen the condition I did not previously do.
? I have created a ‘person/client’ based on the criteria listed in the table above.
? I have researched the condition that my ‘person/client’ has been diagnosed with.
? I have answered the specific questions that were made available on LEO and all my answers are related to my particular person/client.
? I have used the answers to these specific questions in making my Vodcast.
? I have used an annotated bibliography at the end of my presentation.
? My Vodcast does not exceed 50 MB.
? My Vodcast does not contain any other YouTube clips or videos.
? My Vodcast is within the required 5 minute duration.
? I have checked my submitted Vodcast file using a different computer; the visual material is working and I can hear the audio content.
? I have read the marking scheme outlined in the vodcast information on LEO (also listed at the end of this document)
STUDENT INSTRUCTIONS: Type 2 diabetes mellitus Vodcast questions
You will have the opportunity to describe the pathophysiology and pharmacological management for a person/client with type 2 diabetes mellitus. We would like you to show your understanding by making explicit the links between pathophysiology, clinical manifestations and pharmacological management of your person/client’s disease. Your answers to these questions will be used to grade the ‘coverage of subject matter’ and ‘accuracy of information’ sections of your Vodcast assignment (see marking rubric provided at the end of this
document). At the beginning of your Vodcast you need to set the scene within the first minute – tell us about your person/client (refer to the Unit Outline for the details required). Then proceed to answer the following questions.
You must answer the 4 questions below:
The following physiological processes are important for blood glucose control:
• Insulin synthesis and release
• Insulin binding to target tissues
Explain how they are different in your person/client in comparison to a healthy non-diabetic person.
The following are some consequences of long-term poorly controlled hyperglycaemia:
• Myocardial infarction
Explain why they may occur in your person/client.
The following drugs are used in the management of type II diabetes mellitus.
Choose ONE that is appropriate for your person/client. Discuss why it can be used by your person/client by referring to its mechanism of action.
Question 4. Answer both parts (a) and (b)
(a) Insulin resistance can occur in a person with increased abdominal adiposity. Explain the pathophysiological basis for this.
(b) Explain why HbA1c is used a measure of long-term control of blood glucose levels and how this measure will be useful in the management of your person’s/client’s disease.
STUDENT INSTRUCTIONS: Breast or Prostate Cancer
You will have the opportunity to describe the pathophysiology and pharmacological management for a person/client with cancer (Prostate cancer in a male patient or Breast cancer in a female patient). We would like you to show your understanding by making explicit the links between pathophysiology, clinical manifestations and pharmacological management of your person/client’s disease. Your answers to these questions will be used to grade the ‘coverage of subject matter’ and ‘accuracy of information’ sections of your Vodcast assignment (see marking rubric provided at the end of this document). At the beginning of your Vodcast you need to set the scene within the first minute – tell us about your person/client (refer to the Unit Outline for the details required). Then proceed to answer the following questions.
You may find the following resource useful in the completion of your vodcast:
You must answer the 4 questions below:
Your patient/client has a metastasized and malignant tumour. Your patient has a friend named Alex who has been diagnosed with an abnormal growth also, but Alex’s doctor tells them their tumour is localised and benign. Explain the underlined terms, and explain what this means for your patient and their friend Alex.
Choose two factors that could be contributing to the development and/or accelerate the growth of cancer in your patient/client (one genetic mutation and one hormonal factor). Explain how these factors contribute to cancer development in your person/client (ie. the pathophysiology). Hint: you may find it useful to refer to the regulation of the cell cycle and control of cell division/growth.
Some of the clinical manifestations of cancer include:
GROUP A GROUP B
Increased risk of infection
Choose ONE clinical manifestation from GROUP A and ONE clinical manifestation from GROUP B and relate them to the underlying pathophysiology for your patient/client.
The following treatments are used in the management of neoplastic growths:
Active surveillance (watch and wait) Hormone therapy
Describe one non-pharmacological and one pharmacological approach from the table above, and explain why they are used in the management of neoplastic growths. You should also discuss whether they are appropriate treatments for your person/client given they have a metastasised and malignant tumor.
Vodcast marking rubric