Assessment Task 2
Assessment name: Case Study
Task description: For this essay, select EITHER Case Option 1 (adolescent case) or Case Option 2 (adult case). Review your chosen case. Using the clinical reasoning cycle you are required to assess, plan, implement and evaluate your care for the patient. After identifying the relevant assessment data you must identify two (2) current or potential problems for your patient. For each problem identified, list two (2) nursing interventions (collaborative/independent) linking to your research of the literature. One intervention must be nursing initiated. In collaborative interventions, you must focus on the role of the nurse. Include a one to two-line rationale for each intervention. Evaluation of the effectiveness of your interventions is essential.
What you need to do: The 2200 word essay should cover the points below:
• Introduction (150 words approximately): State an overview of the patient’s condition and identify TWO actual or potential nursing problems.
• For each of your identified problems (Approximately 950 words for each problem): Briefly explain how it relates to the patient’s assessment data. You must demonstrate your understanding of the relevant pathophysiology to explain the link between the problem and the patient’s signs and symptoms. Identify TWO interventions to address each problem. Justify the interventions you will implement (explain what is involved in implementing the intervention, why it is suitable, any relevant special considerations relevant to the patient or situation) and support/justify the use of these interventions with reference to current evidence-based literature (a minimum of 5 current articles for each intervention) . Outline the expected evaluation criteria/data that would indicate that each intervention is improving or resolving the identified problem.
• Conclusion (150 words approximately): Briefly restate the overall clinical scenario and how your interventions can benefit the patient’s health.
• You need to discuss at least one independent nursing intervention in your essay. This intervention must be nurse initiated and driven.
• For any collaborative interventions you must discuss the nursing responsibilities and actions in relation to this collaborative intervention. Referral to another health discipline alone does not constitute an intervention
• Medications cannot be both of your chosen collaborative interventions for a problem. If a medication is one of your collaborative interventions, you must identify an appropriate drug that is likely to be prescribed by the doctor. You must consider and
discuss the nursing responsibilities associated with the medication (action, dose, side effects, prevention and management of same, administration requirements and evaluation).
Length: 2200 Words +/- 10%. Reference list is not to be included in total word count
Estimated time to complete task: Approximately 30 hours
How will I be assessed: 7-point grading scale using a rubric
Due date: 8th May 2020 submitted via Turnitin in your NSB231 Blackboard site by 23:59
Presentation requirements: This assessment task must:
Be written in CiteWrite APA style and prepared as follows:
• Have a cover sheet with the assessment title, your name, student number, tutor name and word count.
• Include a ‘footer’ on each page with your name, student number, unit code and page number.
• 2 cm margins on all sides, double-spaced text
• Use font, such as Times New Roman, Arial or Calibri; font size 12
• CiteWrite APA style referencing. Page numbers must be included for in text referencing (see http://www.citewrite.qut.edu.au/)
• Be submitted as a single Word Document in electronic format via Turnitin.
Your assignment style should be:
Question 1: Written in academic sentences validated by in text referencing
• Do NOT use headings
• No figures, tables or diagrams
• The use of dot points is NOT permitted.
• Must contain a minimum of 20 current (no older than 7 years) peer reviewed references from reputable academic sources
Learning outcomes assessed: 1. Apply and integrate knowledge of the key NMBA Registered Nurse
Standards for Nursing Practice, National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards, and National Health Priorities to enable effective clinical decision making, planning and action in a range of situations that reflect the diversity of contemporary health care settings and challenges.
2. Apply knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology to support evidence-based decisions for planning and action in a range of clinical situations.
3. Demonstrate clinical reasoning and clinical decision making in line with safe and quality person-centred care across the lifespan.
4. Apply knowledge and skills to communicate and collaborate effectively with consumers and families.
5. Reflect on the clinical placement experience and care provision, using feedback from a range of sources, to identify opportunities to enhance individual practice.
What you need to submit: One-word document that contains the following items:
1. Assignment cover sheet & your work
Resources needed to complete task: • Case study outline available in your Blackboard site under Assessment Tasks
• Clinical Reasoning template available in your Blackboard site
• Learning through reflection web site.
• QUT Cite Write APA guide.
• Turnitin Tip Sheets.
• Videos under the assessment link on:
? Introduction to Evidence in Evidence Based Practice ? Academic Integrity.
The School of Nursing takes academic integrity very seriously. All work submitted must be your own work and work not previously submitted
for other study. The work of others needs to be correctly acknowledged and referenced according to the CiteWrite APA guidelines.
There are serious consequences that will be imposed should you be found to breach academic integrity. Make sure you are familiar with the MOPP C/5.3 Academic Integrity and view the Academic Integrity video and explore the Academic Case Studies available on your Blackboard site.
Maintaining academic integrity is your responsibility. If in doubt, check it carefully.