Assessment Task 2:
Operational Improvement Methods
Due: Week 7
Word length: 3000
Learning outcomes: 1, 2, 5
Following on from the previous task, this assessment requires students to select two (2) contrasting approaches or methods used for operational improvements such as Lean thinking. For example you might discuss lean practices supported by digitalisation previously discussed in Assessment Task 1.
You will draw upon industry and academic research on types of methods or practices that have been shown to demonstrate organisational or performance improvements. Each approach or method will be a maximum of 1,000 in length.
Your report must make links between operations strategy and operations improvement theories as demonstrated through the prescribed text (Hill & Hill 2017/2018) and or other recommended texts, supported by a minimum of 5 recent scholarly or peer-reviewed journal articles.
Students are then required to discuss the application of such methods to their respective organisations and work area contexts including change management considerations associated with implementing improvement initiatives.
Assessment Submission Requirements:
1. Your assessment is to be written in a business format. To assist you, please refer to the Assessment Tips and Hints document available in myABS.
2. You are to include a minimum of 5 suitable academic journal articles in your assignment.
You can search the AIM Library database, or use some of the ones provided in the Additional resources section under each topic in my ABS. You may also have to research other online industry related articles to support your research.
3. Your report must not exceed 3,000 words. Your executive summary, table of contents, tables and reference list are not included in the word count.
GSB005 Managing Operational Improvement: Unit Guide
4. Appendices and tables may be used to clarify and support your arguments, but should not be used to circumvent the word count limit. Use appendices sparingly.
5. Your report should be submitted to the Assessment section of myABS as one document. You do not need to supply an assignment cover sheet with this assessment task as your electronic declaration when submitting your document is sufficient.
Please refer to the detailed marking rubric on the next page.
All assessments are marked on a scale of 1-100, and weighted according to the assessment’s value (see above). You will receive your mark along with your assessor’s feedback one week after the due date. Your feedback will be given to you as either embedded commentary within your submission or an alternative medium. Information about how to access and review your feedback is provided by the Student Support team.
Your mark for this assessment will be recorded in the Grades section of myABS.