MITS5003 Wireless Networks & Communication - 2020S1 Major Assignment Part - A & Part - B (Combined)
A VICTORIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY www.vit.edu.au
This is the first part of major Assignment. This assessment task is individual and you will work individually to apply your knowledge, to analyse and solve numerical problems, and form the first part of major assignment. This will cover all the four learning outcomes of the unit. All submissions are to be submitted through turn-it-in. Drop-boxes linked to turn-it-in will be set up in the Unit of Study Moodle account. Assignments not submitted through these drop- boxes will not be considered. Submissions must be made by the due date and time.
The turn-it-in similarity score will be used in determining the level if any of plagiarism. Turn-it-in will check conference web-sites, Journal articles, the Web and your own class member submissions for plagiarism. You can see your turn-it-in similarity score when you submit your assignment to the appropriate drop-box. If this is a concern you will have a chance to change your assignment and re¬submit. However, re-submission is only allowed prior to the submission due date and time. After the due date and time have elapsed you cannot make re-submissions and you will have to live with the similarity score as there will be no chance for changing. Thus, plan early and submit early to take advantage of this feature. You can make multiple submissions, but please remember we only see the last submission, and the date and time you submitted will be taken from that submission.
Your document should be a single word or pdf document containing your report.
Part - A
1. When you have two different networks, one is ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) Network and the other is legacy Ethernet LAN inter-connected by a layer 3 device, With the help of a detailed
diagram describe the process of PDU (Protocol Data Units) creation at each layer and how they
communicate between the server in ATM network and client PC in Ethernet LAN. With the detailed diagram you also need to explain each layer of TCP/IP model interact and any sub-layers interact for communication to be successful.
Note you may refer to the lecture notes, but please explain the interaction and write it in your words to avoid plagiarism.
2. Compute the amplitude, frequency, time period and phase for each of the following equations A/5 *Sin(1000t + 120) (5 Marks)
3. From the following figures, compute the maximum amplitude, frequency, time period and
phase for each of the wave. The x-axis represents the time in sec and y-axis represents the
4. You are communicating between two satellites. The transmission obeys the free space law. The signal is too weak. Your vendor offers you two options. The vendor can use a higher frequency that is triple the current frequency or can triple the effective area of both of the antennas. Which will offer you more received power or will both offer the same improvement, all other factors remaining equal? How much improvement in the received power do you obtain from the best option?
c = speed of light = 3 x 108 m/sec
d = propagation distance between antennas
Pr = signal power at the receiving antenna
Pt = signal power at the transmitting antenna
Ar = effective area of the receiving antenna
At = effective area of the transmitting antenna
5. A Communication channel has a loss of 20 dB. The input transmission end the signal power is measured as 0.5 W, and the output noise level is measured as 4.5 pW. Using this information, calculate the output signal-to-noise ratio in dB at the receiving end. (5 Marks)
6. What is the maximum distance (i.e. distance to radio horizon) for a terrestrial microwave wireless link where the sending antenna is on a hilltop 550 meters above sea level and the receiver is a mobile car radio with antenna 10 meters above sea level? (5 Marks)
7. If the maximum distance for LOS communication between the transmitter and the receiver is 20 Km, then calculate the heights of transmitting and receiving antennas such that the height of receiving antenna is double of the transmitting antenna. (5 Marks)
8. In packet switching, do you think line efficiency is greater if packets sizes are smaller, so that a single node-to-node link can be dynamically shared by many packets over time?
Use the scenarios in figure 1 to give a concise analysis. Assume that the standard packet size is 50 octets (un-fragmented packet) and the header size is 4 octets. Show your calculations.
Part - B
9. Imagine you wish to transmit your student ID number over wireless medium. First you will need to convert your student ID from its decimal (base 10) representation into a 28-bit binary (base 2) representation. For example, a student ID of 12345 will be 0011000000111001 in the binary form. Convert the binary data “0011000000111001” into analogue waveforms using the following modulation techniques: (10 Marks)
Note: that the ID of each student is unique and the binary form will also be unique. If the number of bits are 16-bit long its fine. If the bits are less or more then you may prepend binary -000....- or truncate the Most Significant Bits (MSB).
a. Two level Amplitude Shift Keying
b. Two level Frequency Shift Keying
c. Two level Phase Shift Keying
d. Four level Amplitude Shift Keying
10. For the above techniques, let suppose the time required to transmit one signal is 0.5 psec. Compute the time required to send the whole data for each of these techniques. (5 Marks)
11. What is the attenuation loss (in dB) of a communication link operating in free space at a frequency of 2.4 GHz over a distance of 12.5 Km? (5 Marks)
12. Draw the 8 QAM Constellation Diagram having two different amplitude levels and four different phase levels. (5 Marks)
13. Considering the figure for the handoff situation and the mobile user is moving from Base station A to Base station B, answers the following questions. (8 Marks)
I. At what location, the handoff takes place considering Relative signal strength?
II. At what location, the handoff takes place considering Relative signal strength with threshold THi?
III. At what location, the handoff takes place considering Relative signal strength with threshold TH2?
IV. At what location, the handoff takes place considering Relative signal strength with threshold TH3?
V. At what location, the handoff takes place considering Relative signal strength with hysteresis?
VI. At what location, the handoff takes place considering Relative signal strength with hysteresis and threshold THi?
VII. At what location, the handoff takes place considering Relative signal strength with hysteresis and threshold TH2?
VIII. At what location, the handoff takes place considering Relative signal strength with hysteresis and threshold TH3?
14. Explain and sketch the Error Detection Process for calculating the Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) for the following Dataword using the common divider 10101 at both end (Transmission & Reception ends): ( 2 x 6 = 12 Marks)
a) At the Transmission end If the Dataword is “1110111010” Calculate the CRC redundant bits using the Cyclic Redundancy check (CRC) encoder for transmission, and calculate write the Codeword that needs to be transmitted.
b) At the Receiving end using the Divisor to verify and check the integrity of the received Dataword.
Plagiarism is a serious Academic issue and VIT takes it's very seriously. Hence VIT expects the students to maintain highest level of academic, ethical behavior and expects assignment writing standards from its students. The work of each assignment should reflects on the academic and professional standing of the VIT the students submits for assessment should be original work of the student. The preservation of academic conduct and integrity encompasses high quality academic practices, the practice of reputable and trustworthy sources of material and acknowledgement of the authors and moreover contributions coming from self-study, though process and creative thinking.
End of Major Assignment-Part A & B