T2 2019: ICT275 Innovation and Technology Management
Topic: Ideation and Value Proposition Design
Submission: Submit the Report on Moodle by 23:55 on Sunday 29th September 2019 (Sunday Week 11).
Brainstorm with your team and identify a gap/problem/business opportunity and provide an IT solution for the identified problem. You demonstrate the value proposition of the proposed
solution/product/service to the actual needs of the customer. You explain in your report:
· The Opportunity
· Problem Statement
· Defining a Solution
· Value proposition canvas
The outcome of your ideation and value proposition will be reflected in a value proposition canvas (along with a written report of 2500 words). The value proposition canvas consists of two parts. One part is the customer profile, in which you describe your customer. The other part is the value map in which you describe how you create value for your customer. If those two parts match with each other then you have a fit in your value proposition. You start with creating your customer profile, after which you will complete your value map. You need to identify:
· Customer task: You have to keep in mind the person or the company that would buy your product or service. Write down the tasks that that person or company has to do or wants to complete in work or in life.
· Customer pains: A customer pain is anything that annoys a customer when getting a job done. It can also be something that slows down or prevents the task being done.
· Customer gains: Anything that makes the customer happy is a potential customer gain. These gains can be required, expected or desired. Required gains must be provided by your service. Expected gains are those that a customer would expect but are not essential. Desired gains are those needs that customer would like to see fulfilled.
· Products and services: When moving over to the value map the first action is to describe the products and/or services of your business.
· Pain relievers: Pain relievers are the solutions that your products and services offer to customer pains.
· Gain creators: Gain creators are the functionalities or features of your products and services that produce outcomes that customers expect or desire.
· The fit: Determine if there is a fit between what the customers want and what your business has to offer
Make a large printout of the Value Proposition Canvas template (page 5) and use this in a brainstorm with colleagues. Have a look at the Example for AirBnB to learn how the Value Proposition Canvas can be applied in practice.
Create your Value Proposition Canvas via draw.io or other online tools for the submission along with the written report (the print out is for practice only). You can submit the Canvas in pdf format.
Recommended tools for teams to utilize for efficiency of project management and team work:
· Google Doc, Slide, and Drive
Make sure your report is written based on the guideline of assessment 4 in the Course Guideline.