ASSESSMENT TASK 1: REFLECTION
Aligned subject learning outcomes • Appraise and interpret communication theories.
• Reflect upon and articulate strategies for enhanced communication in a culturally diverse healthcare workplace.
Group or Individual Individual
Due date 1800h, Friday, 8 November 2019
Length 900 words
Word counts 10% above the required word limit will be penalised by 10% deduction of the marks available. The word count must be accurately stated at the end of the written piece. Every printed element between spaces is to be counted including quotations and in-text references (but not including reference list or appendices).
ASSESSMENT TASK 1: DESCRIPTION
The purpose of this assessment is to write a reflective paper about your own communication in the workplace.
In any form of communication, it is important to be aware of how we influence the process and identify our strengths and weakness in our communication skills. Developing self-awareness relies on being able to reflect deeply and recognise the role of 'self' in contributing to the outcomes of communication interactions.
To complete this task, you will need to firstly observe your professional communication over the course of a week. Following this, select two examples of communication to analyse and discuss: one example should showcase your communication strength(s) and one example should showcase your communication weakness(es).
The suggested format for this reflective essay is as follows:
• Brief introduction to paper
• Brief description of communication example demonstrating your weakness(es)
• Using a clear reflective cycle (citing which reflective cycle you are using), critically reflect on your weakness(es) in your communication and analyse the contribution of the 'self' to these weaknesses in the example, using theory to support your analysis
• Brief description of communication example showcasing your strength(s)
• Using a clear reflective cycle (citing which reflective cycle you are using), critically reflect on strengths in your communication and analyse the contribution of the 'self' to these strengths in the example, using theory to support your analysis
• Present an insightful discussion of your analysis that explains what you have learned about your persuasive professional communication abilities from this exercise
• Brief conclusion to paper.
As this is a reflective task, you may use first person. You are expected to use literature to support the discussion throughout the paper. Please ensure that you maintain confidentiality and privacy, so be sure to use pseudonyms for any descriptions of people or organisations. As this is an academic essay, no headings or dot points may be used. Correct APA (6th ed.) should be used throughout. For guidance on standards for assessment preparation, including referencing, please see Assessment Preparation Guidelines.