Topic: Internet of Things and Privacy
A Panopticon Prison is a type of prison designed by the English philosopher and social theorist Jeremy Bentham in the late 18th century. The concept of the design is to allow all inmates to be observed by a single guard without the inmates being able to tell whether or not they are being watched.
Although it is physically impossible for the single watchman to observe all cells at once, the fact that the inmates cannot know when they are being watched means that all inmates must act as though they are watched at all times, effectively controlling their own behaviour constantly.
With Internet of Things gaining interest, and people willingly put monitoring devices (such as Google Home/Amazon Echo and Alexa) into their homes, is there a risk that one day we ended up living in a new kind of Panopticon Prison? If privacy is a concern, why is IoT gaining interests? And How would IoT affect the World in the next ten years?
Style: Academic style with at least 12 credible references
Word Limit: 2,000 – 2,500 excluding references and bibliography
Weight: 40% of the course
• This is an individual assignment.
• Plagiarism and borrowing ideas without proper references will lead to marks deduction.
• It is entirely possible that there is no “right” or “wrong” answer in your topic.
• However, you must state your view clearly, and it must be supported by good arguments and credible references
• The quality of content (10%)
• Depth of research (20%)
• Structure and layout of the report (10%)
• Proper referencing of sources according to assignment specification (20%)
• Meeting assignment requirements (40%)