MITS 6001 Cloud Computing
Connecting Virtual Networks
Due Date: Week 13
Total Marks: 20
As a Cloud engineer of a financial organisation you have been asked to design and implement a cloud solution for your existing IT infrastructure. Currently the company has different departments in two separate buildings in Melbourne.
In this project, you need to deploy two VMs into the virtual network and securely communicate between the two VMs in azure platform. Please write a summary of your understanding about the output (500 words) at the end of the report.
__________________________________________________________________________________ Submission Criteria:
The report must be submitted in soft (electronic) copy as a Microsoft Word document via the upload link available on Moodle.
Your report should include the following:
Cover page with student names and the ID numbers, course details, the assignment details and your lecturer details.
Screens-shots of each step you come across and the description. Please create each component with the name as instructed below.
Summary of your understanding about the output of this project (500 words) at the end of the report.
Configure a VNet-to-VNet VPN gateway connection
• Step 1: Create two Azure Virtual Networks (Vnets) across same region with o Name: VN_1_yourStudentID, Address space: 10.10.0.0/16 and subnet address range:
10.10.0.0/24 o Name: VN_2_ yourStudentID, Address space: 10.20.0.0/16 and subnet address range: 10.20.0.0/24
(Example: if your student id is 123456 then Vnet should be VN_1_123456 and VN_2_123456)
• Step 2: Go inside the Vnets created and add a Gateway Subnet under Subnets o Create a new resource group: VnetS
• Step 3: Create a Public IP address for each Vnets and choose dynamic assignment.
• Step 4: Create two Virtual network gateways o Click on new and search for virtual network gateway and select.
o Click create o Give the name as VN_1_ yourStudentID _Gateway o Choose the public IP address created in the previous steps for the respective Vnets. o Make sure that resource group is Vnets
(Example: if your student id is 123456 then VN_1_123456_Gateway and VN_2_123456_Gateway)
Please note that Vnet Gateway Deployment takes around 30 minutes. When the Vnet Gateway deployment is ready, we need to connect both gateways.
• Step 5: Connect the Gateways o Go to new and select networking and select connection and create o Under basics
? Connection type: Vnet-to-Vnet
? Resource group
• Use existing: VnetS
o Under Settings
? Choose first and second virtual network gateway (we created two virtual network gateways before)
? Make sure that Establish bidirectional connectivity is enabled.
? Provide a shared key
? Review and create o Connection between two Vnets are created
Testing: Connect two VM in the different Vnet and test the connectivity
• Step 6: Create two VM machine (Please follow the Assignment 2: Deployment of VM) o Select ubuntu Server o Create two VMs in the different Vnet and test the connectivity o Basic
? Name of VM1 is VM1_ yourStudentID
? Name of VM2 is VM2_ yourStudentID
? Resource group: VnetS
? Authentication type: SSH Public Key
? Make sure that you use PuTTYgen to create a public and private key o Settings
? Virtual networks:
• VN_1_ yourStudentID (already created on previous step) for VM1_ yourStudentID
• VN_2_ yourStudentID (already created on previous step) for VM2_ yourStudentID
(Please follow the Assignment 2: Deployment of VM)
• Step 7: Once two VM are ready, connect them Via putty.
• Step 8: Search for the IP address for inet addr of the VM1 and VM2 using command ifconfig.
• Step 9: From VM1
• Step8: From VM2 o Ping VM1’s address and get the similar response
Make sure that both the VM with their Private IP can ping and Vnet connection is established.
***Stop your VMs to save your available credits ***