2.4.2 Case Study: Plan of Care
Type of Collaboration: Individual
Due: Monday 7th October at 2400 hrs
Submission: Refer to Section 2.5 of the LG - General Submission Requirements
Length: 500 words
Word count/duration: There is a word limit of 500 words. Use your computer to total the number of words used in your assignment. However, do not include the reference list at the end of your assignment in the word count. In-text citations will be included in the additional 10% word count. If you exceed the word limit by more than 10% the marker will stop marking at 550 words or plus 10%.
Your assessment should be submitted in .doc, docx. format
Double space your assessment using a 12 point font such as Ariel or Times New Roman
Please ensure your answers are typed using Word. Your work should not be hand written.
A table has been placed on the unit vUWS site which may be helpful for students to use to structure your work.
Aim: Students will apply primary health care principles to explain the principles and skills of therapeutic communication and interventions related to caring for people experiencing alterations in thought, behaviour and mood. Students will demonstrate their understanding of ethico-legal implications in relation to the care of people with mental health concerns and/or illnesses.
In relation to the case study you have chosen for Assessment 1, answer the following questions:
Questions 1a and 1b - 200 words in total
- 1a) Using the same case study you used in the first part of this assessment, the Analysis of a Case Study, identify an urgent risk area. Ensure your answer details why you have identified this risk area including specific information about the client and support your risk assessment with evidence from the current literature.
- 1b) Identify one nursing / midwifery intervention you would immediately undertake with your client to address the risk area noted in question 1a and include a rationale for the intervention.
Ensure the intervention includes who would actually carry out the intervention and when the intervention should occur. Your rationale should state how and why this intervention is carried out. Ensure literature is included.
Questions 2a and 2b - 200 words in total
- 2a) Using the same case study you used in the first part of this assessment, the Analysis of a Case Study, identify a mental health concern and use current evidence from literature to support your answer.
- 2b) Identify one nursing / midwifery intervention you would undertake with your client to address the mental health concern noted in question 2a and include a rationale for the intervention.
Ensure the interventions include how and when you would carry out the intervention. Your rationale should state why you would carry out the particular intervention. Ensure literature is included when you discuss the rationale.
Question 3 - 100 words in total
- 3) Using the same case study you used in the first part of this assessment, the Analysis of a Case Study, use current literature, identify and discuss (2) two legal, ethical or professional issues a nurse /midwife may need to consider when working with the client in the case study.
i. Examples may be available on the vUWS site. ii. There are a number of textbooks and resources available through the Western Sydney University Library that may assist you. Please refer to the unit’s vUWS site for specific unit resources