Assessment 3: Case study
This assessment is for these students only: Melbourne - Hotel School; Sydney - Hotel School.
Develop a case study showcasing international tourism at your MKT01906 destination. You selected the location prior to Week 3. The assignment will develop critical thinking, analysis and literacy skills to synthesise information related to theories studied in this unit.
Identify key issues for the destination from international tourism and contrast them with ideas discussed in at least eight (8) recent and relevant academic sources. Assessment 2 (Annotated Bibliography) will assist with literature required. Draw on other sources to support. Follow the structure and criteria below.
Case study structure
1. Introduce the destination and outline main themes to be discussed in the case study (100 words)
2. Provide an overview of the historical development of tourism for your selected destination (350 words)
3. Provide an analysis of international tourism visitation to your destination. Use relevant statistics to support your answer (250 words)
4. Explain what makes the destination attractive to tourists. Link to theories introduced in the unit (e.g. the tourism system (Leiper, 1994, 2003), motivation, satisfaction and attraction theories) (300 words)
5. Identify and critically analyse the impacts from tourism activity on the host community at the destination (400 words)
6. Identify and critically explain two key destination development issues which are currently occuring at the destination (500 words)
7. Identify and criticallyexplain one tourism policy issue for the destination (500 words)
8. Conclude the case study with a summary of key outcomes (100 words).
At the end of the case study add a list of all references you have cited (the reference list is not included in the word count).
Case study discussion
• Logical discussion and argument (4 marks)
• Clarity of expression (4 marks)
Case study analysis
• Introduction (2 marks)
• Historical over view of tourism development (4 marks)
• International tourism visitation (4 marks)
• Destination attractiveness (5 marks)
• Host community impacts of tourism (8 marks)
• Destination development issue analysis (8 marks)
• Toursm policy issue analysis (8 marks)
• Conclusion (2 marks)
• Correct referencing within body of report (2 marks)
• Correct referencing style for reference list (2 marks)
Total (50 marks)