Assignments' Instructions and Requirements
From the top two hundred companies listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) download the 2017-2018 annual report and perform the followings:
1- From the annual report of your selected company and in addition, to providing examples identify and describe the accounting concepts used.
2- What changes have been incorporated in the new accounting standard for lease AASB 16? Using your selected company and discuss the issue with examples.
3- Summarise the key disclosures the company has made on its accounting for leases including on the transitional provision and effect of the transition to AASB 16 from AASB 117. Provide examples for your selected company.
For additional guidance for marks allocations refer to the below marking rubric / guide.
Students need to make sure that performing the assignment using the same company is not permitted. You need to discuss the selection of your company with your lecturer before start working on your assignment. (Financial institutions such as Banks are not permitted to be selected for the assignment as they fall under other reporting and compliance framework requirements)
Other Instructions & Information
• A title page with the name/s and student ID/s
• References to be provided in the text and a reference list included at the end.
• Identifying, analysing and arguing the core issues. Discuss relevant aspects and use of suitable examples in support of your arguments.
• Answering the assignments questions. Be precise and answer to the point. Show evidence of good critical thinking and research beyond the prescribed text.
• Logical arguments to establish your views.
• Conclusion. A closing statement. What you have learnt from this assignment.
• After writing your first draft, you will need to revisit your writing several times, refining your ideas and editing your work as you go. The final proofreading of your assignment will ensure that you don't submit any careless errors that could have been easily avoided.
• Marks have been allocated to each section of your assignment the Assignment is to be uploaded to Blackboard via the provided link
Assessment of the case study will be based on the criteria listed below and your submission should include the following:
This assignment is to be your own work. You will find information regarding plagiarism and academic misconduct in Blackboard. It is the responsibility of the student who is submitting the work, to ensure that the work is in fact her/his own work. Incorporating another's work or ideas into one's own work without appropriate acknowledgement is an academic offence. Students can submit all assignments for plagiarism checking (self-check) on Blackboard before final submission in the unit. For further details, please refer to the Unit Outline and Student Handbook. It is essential that students use a standard referencing style in their assignments — Holmes Institute uses the Harvard Referencing style.
Students Please Note:
Any material transcribed directly or paraphrased/sourced from the set textbook, other texts, journals, online material or a colleague's assignment, and not properly referenced, will incur a penalty. Material in the assignment that bears a strong resemblance to another source and not correctly referenced will also be penalised.