ASSESSMENT 3 2500 WORDS
Assessment Type: Research Report — 2500 words report - Team (Paired) assessment.
Purpose: To enable students to research, critically analyse and evaluate the impacts of macroeconomic performance of Australia on Australian business, identifying appropriate responses taking into account stakeholder expectations and concerns. This assessment contributes to Learning Outcomes b. c and d.
Value: 20% Due Date: Friday Week 10
Submission: One soft copy of the report to be uploaded to Moodie Turnitin — Word .doc or .docx.
Topic: Evaluation of macroeconomic performance of Australia.
Task details: Students will complete a research-based analysis and evaluation of the macroeconomic performance of Australia and New Zealand for the period 1990 to 2015. The response needs to be developed into a professionally presented report of 2500 words. Students will follow the following procedure:
(1) Obtain data on key macroeconomic indicators: real GDP, Real GDP (PPP), inflation rate, foreign direct investment (FDI) and exports and imports.
(2) Graph and discuss the relationship between Australias and New Zealands real GDP per capita (PPP) growth rates. In particular. according to the data:
i. Which countrys real GDP per capita is a more stable?
ii. Which country recovered faster from the GFC in 2008?
iii. Which country has a stronger purchasing power (PPP)?
(3) Discuss the relationship between of Australias FDI growth and Real GDP (PPP) growth: Australias FDI growth and net exports growth (i.e., % (exports - imports): Australias FDI growth and exchange rate growth: and Australias FDI growth and inflation rate. Illustrate your discussion with summary statistics and pairwise graphs.
(4) Conduct a multiple regression analysis (in log-linear form) of FDI growth on Real GDP (PPP) growth exchange rate growth: net exports growth and inflation rate. Discuss the impact of each variable on FDI growth.
(5) Discuss the policy implications of your results from (3) — (4) above.
Research Requirements: Students need to support their analysis with a minimum of 10 academic journal articles plus the text. Students aiming for a Credit or higher grade will need to use more sources. Articles should be relevant and recent. Non-academic journal sources may also be used. but relevance and validity should be clarified with the lecturer/tutor.
Presentation: Report format — 2500 words report — in Word.doc or .docx. Title page, executive summary. table of contents, appropriate headings and sub-headings, recommendations/findings/conclusions, in-text referencing and reference list (Harvard — Anglia style), attachments if relevant. Single spaced, font Calibri 11pt.
Source of Data:
Recommended sources of data are:
However, data may also be obtained from other credible sources. Also, recommended readings for government policies include:
o Statement on Monetary Policy of the Reserve Bank of Australia for insights of monetary policies in Australia. https://www.rba.gov.au/publications/smp/
o Budget documents for insights of fiscal policies in Australia. https://www.budget.gov.au/2018-19/content/documents.html
1. This assignment is paired-assignment and students must form a pair (2 people) for the assignment. One person or more than two-people assignment will not be accepted, unless permission is granted by the lecturer for special circumstances.
2. Names and ID numbers of students in the group must be clearly printed on the Assignment Cover Sheet. A member, who does not contribute to the discussion and assignment, must be marked as -Not contributed- in a bracket following the students name and ID.
3. Students must follow an appropriate format explained below. Not following appropriate format will cause a loss of some marks.
o All analytical contents must be clearly typed and printed. Hand-written report will NOT be accepted.
o Appropriate heading or sub-title of each section must be typed and used.
o You must analyse, explain and show how and why you draw your conclusion.
o You must also draw and include appropriate and relevant graphs and tables together in your explanation. Draw them using Microsoft Power PoinUWord/Excel, NOT hand-drawn.
4. Plagiarism (copying the paper from other group) is a serious violation of copy right. It will be penalised and attract a very heavy loss of marks — -Fail-. Make sure your team member does not show your work to another group(s). Both who show the work and who copy the work will lose their marks heayily and fail in the assessment.
5. Only ONE COPY of the research paper from each group is required to be submitted.