Assessment Task 1 - Unit Knowledge Test (UKT)
• This is an individual assessment.
• The purpose of this assessment task is to assess the students’ knowledge essential to prepare staff roster in a range of contexts and industry settings.
• To make full and satisfactory responses you should consult a range of learning resources, other information such as handouts and textbooks, learners’ resources and slides.
• All questions must be answeredin order to gain competency for this assessment.
• You may attach a separate sheet if required.
• You must include the following particulars in the footer section of each page of the attached sheets:
o Student ID or Student Name
o Unit ID or Unit Code
o Course ID or Course Code
o Trainer and assessor name
o Page numbers
• You must staple the loose sheets together along with the cover page.
• You must attach the loose sheets chronologically as per the page numbers.
• Correction fluid and tape are not permitted. Please do any corrections by striking through the incorrect words with one or two lines and rewriting the correct words.
Resources required to complete the assessment task:
• MS Word
• Printer or e-printer
• Adobe acrobat/reader
• Learning management system
Question 1. Explain the importance of industrial agreements and other considerations, as well as, wage budgets when developing rosters. Answer in 150 – 200 words.
Question 2. How can a roster help organisation to maximise operational and customer service efficiently while minimising wage costs?Answer in 100 – 150 words.
Question 3. During preparation of a roster, how can combining duties of staff members increase effective use of staff? Explain in 50 – 100 words.
Question 4. Team rosters should comprise of staff with complementary mix of skills, to meet operational requirements. Detail the rationale and truth of this statement, in 100 – 150 words.
Question 5. Write briefly in 50 – 100 words each, the impact of following in staff rosters:
• Social and cultural considerations
• Broader organisational policies
Question 6. Explain any three (3) ways to consult and orgain input of, colleagues regarding rosters. Answer in 50 – 100 words for each.
Question 7. Explain roster systems and equipment that can be used by an organisation to administer roster management. Answer in 75 to 100 words
List any three (3) roster systems and three (3) types of equipment available in the market.
List any six (6) system capabilities and functions required in rostering software.
Question 8. Mention any four (4) ways to present and communicate rosters in required, clear formats, to appropriate staff within designated timeframes. Your answer should include both electronic and paper based methods. Answer in 3-5 lines for each.
Question 9. Explain paper based and electronic formats that organisations use to maintain staff rostering records, to administer shift times of employees and/or contractors. Write your answer in 200 – 250 words.
Question 10. Explain any six (6) steps to monitor effectiveness of rosters and identify areas of improvement, in roster development,with consultation from colleagues. Answer in 3-5 lines for each.
Question 11. List any three (3) sources of information on awards and other industrial provisions.
Question 12. Assume you are working in a restaurant as a casual employee. Access the applicable award and record the details surrounding based on Restaurant Industry Award 2010 for following:
a. Leave provisions
b. Mandated breaks between shifts
c. Maximum allowed shift hours
d. Standard, overtime and penalty rates
Question 13. Based on the Restaurant Industry Award 2010, specify themaximum number of hours that can be allocated to staff members. Answer should include information on ordinary hours, Make-up time and Spread of hours. Answer in 300 - 350 words.
Question 14. Identify impacts on preparation of staffing rosters based on:
a. Contractors and considerations of fees
b. Permanent or casual staff
Answer in 50 to 100 words for each.
Question 15. Explain the following organisational policies and their impacts on the preparation of staffing rosters. Answer in 50 – 100 words for each.
• Socio-cultural-friendly organisational initiatives
• Family-friendly workplace initiatives
Question 16. Explain organisational leave policies which impact on the preparation of staffing rosters for the following leave types. Answer in 2 – 3 lines for each.
• Illness or injury and Carers
• Compassionate reasons
• Jury service
• Long service
• Maternity or paternity
• Rehabilitation of injured workers
Question 17. Explain the role of rosters and their importance in controlling staff costs in the hospitality industry. Answer in 100 – 150 words.
Question 18. For a large five-star hotel, while developing a roster, explain the following consideration areas in 50 – 100 words for each.
• Social, cultural and skills mix of the team to be roster
• Full details of human resource policies and procedures that cover leave provisions and socio-cultural issues.
• Operational requirements of the business activity, department or event subject to roster.
• Wage budget for the business activity, department or event subject to rostering.