Essay : Reflective essay (60%)
Word count: 2000 words.
This unit provides students with a foundational understanding of culture and its implications for health care. Topics such as culture, self and diversity, understanding and valuing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, cross cultural health and wellness and migrant health issues will be explored throughout the unit. Additionally the concept of values and ethical principles within health care communities will be introduced.
1. Discuss the influence of community, culture and religion in influencing health care practice.
2. Evaluate the distribution of healthcare resources in relation to healthcare needs and concepts of health and wellbeing.
3. Justify a position on the influence that globalisation will have on nursing workforce culture
. 4. Appraise social and ethical wellbeing within the context of equity and cultural safety.
5. Discuss the concept of Indigeneity and critically compare the demography, context and lifestyles of different cultural and Indigenous groups.
6. Explore and describe contemporary Australian Indigenous health services, organisations and issues, and include the socio-cultural factors that impede health care provision.
Content areas may include: • Culture and cultural groups. • Frameworks for analysis of context and lifestyles ofFrameworks for analysis of context and lifestyles of different cultural groups.
• Health, wellness, care, illness and spirituality.
• Self and diversity • Understanding health service provision related to cultural health
• Migrant health.
Task: It is important that in your role as a student nurse and later as a Registered nurse that you are able to provide care that is client centred and culturally safe. The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia provides guidelines for professional practice.
This includes the Code of Conduct for Nurses (2018); The ICN Code of Ethics for Nurses (2012); and theRegistered Nurses Standards for practice (2016). These documents provide a framework to support practice for which we are accountable and responsible and should provide a foundation for this reflective essay.
Write a 2000 word critically reflective essay: Incorporating the knowledge you have gained throughout the course and this unit and with reference to your Codes and Standards for practice, discuss how you will analyse cultural factors and how these will affect your application of culturally safe care to a client from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population.
1. Select a client from this cultural group that you have an interest in or have had experience with. (e.g. age, gender, urban, rural, remote).
2. Use concepts and knowledge gained throughout your course and this unit to Identify the health issues that may impact your chosen client.
3. Then using theoretical frameworks (at least two) to draw connections between your ideas and provide structure to your argument (i.e. knowing,
4 dimensions, etic and emic viewpoints, social imagination, social determinants)., analyse the cultural factors that currently impact on care delivery and as a consequence the health outcomes of your client.
4. Using ONE health Issue determine how you might modify your practice to provide culturally safe care for your client. This will require you to critically reflect on your personal response to your findings and how this may impact on your practice. (Knowing self). This should be supported with reference to your professional documents.
5. Identify the requirements for utilisation and distribution of resources to achieve a culturally safe environment for you and your clients. (i.e. cultural knowledge, competence, access, alternate services). It will be necessary to incorporate the knowledge and language gained from the course work, your readings, your first assessment pieces (ASS 1) as well as supporting evidence from a minimum of 15 quality journal articles/ readings of your choice. (No more than 7 years old).
Critical Reflection is evidence of reflective thinking. This involves:
1. Looking back at something.( i.e. event, idea, object learning)
2. Analysing that something (reviewing from different perspectives with reference to models or theory from your learning as well as your research).
3. Thinking about what this means to you both personally and professionally.
4. Determining how this will affect your practice.
NB: Further resources to assist you are available in the Assessments folder, titled, ‘Writing a critical reflection (guides and instructions)’.
Much of this paper will be based on your new knowledge, your research and your personal views and experience(s) and it is normal to use the first person when writing (‘I’). However there is a component part that requires you to write using academic writing (third person). Therefore your essay will contain sections written in first person ( “ I felt…’ ) and in third person (“ Smith (2009) proposes that….” ). Identify which areas you are required to reflect on and use this as a guide when to use each style. If this is not clear then it is acceptable to explain when and where you will use (“I” ) in your introduction.
Format • This essay is to be written in first and third person (see above) and formatted as per School of Nursing and Midwifery, ‘Assignment Writing Guidelines’.
• Work must be both Intext and End text referenced using APA format. The essay requires a minimum of fifteen (15) qualiity citations (peer reviewed journals and academic texts as well as quality web sites i.e. Government (NOT Wikipaedia) may be used
• The essay is to be submitted through turnitin
To assist with your planning, criteria for this assignment include but are not limited to the following Content: Present the topics relevant to the paper.
Selected client. Health Issue Cultural concepts/ frameworks for analysis.
Professional responsibilities.( NMBA ) Culturally safety.
Application of CT: Exploration and application of data that examines all cultural aspects of your chosen client group. Application to practice Research :
Journal articles, texts, theoretical knowledge.
presentation of resources .( evidence based)
Appraise, analyse, compare and discuss the issues that arise applying your theoretical knowledge and research knowledge.
Application to practice .i.e. culturally safe client centred care ( based on analysis) Personal and professional impacts.( reflection on practice)
Structure/Presentation: A well prepared essay with a clear introduction, body of work and conclusion.
Introduction: should include
• An introduction to your topic
• Highlight the main issues
• Include a thesis statement
• Include research parameters
• Target audience
Body: Should Include
• Presentation of the topics relevant to your paper (see content for further guidance).
• Support your arguments with research from a reputable source
• Relevant information to support contemporary practice
• Less than 7 years old.
• What does the evidence suggest is best practice.
Conclusion: Should include
• Wind up of your paper by restating your thesis statement.
• Restate your main ideas
• DO NOT introduce new ideas.
Presentation • Font, spacing, paragraphs, margins, page no’s • Justification • Application of coversheet and title page • See SNM assignment guidelines. Referencing • APA IN and End text. • Correct order; Alphabetical by first authors surname. • 2nd row indent • Author, date, title, journal/book. Vol/Issue/Edition, publisher. DOI/URL ELP As per generic rubric