Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code MN621
Unit Title Advanced Network Design
Assessment Type Assignment 1 T2 2019 Individual
Assessment Title Network requirement analysis and plan
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) This assignment is designed to assess students’ knowledge and skills related to the following learning outcomes:
b. Investigate suitable network designs to match requirements;
c. Create appropriate frameworks and standards for network implementation;
Weight 15% of the total assessments
Total Marks 35 * (factor of) individual demonstration marks 20
Word limit 1200
Due Date Week 8, 8/9/ 2019, Submit on the Moodle Shell.
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a Title Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2.54 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
Extension • If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to AMS. You must submit this application three working days before the due date of the assignment. Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at http://www.mit.edu.au/aboutmit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/PlagiarismAcademic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
Prepared by: Dr Sanjeeb Shrestha & A/Prof Savitri Bevinakoppa Moderated by: Dr Ammar Alazab July, 2019
Marks for assignment 1 will be calculated as follows:
Individual assignment 1 marks = marks obtained for individual submitted report * demonstration marks/25
Student X gets
• 28/35 marks for individual submitted report
• 15/20 marks for individual demonstration in week 5, 6 and 7
Total marks for student X out of 35 = 28 * 15/20 = 28 * 0.75 = 21/35
Case study scenario: Use an industry case study of your PBL exercise
Project Scope: Write project scope herewith.
Report requirements: The report should have a detail explanation of the planning and designing of a network. It is recommended that bullet points are included whenever necessary. Use your Problem Based Learning (PBL) tutorial findings.
1. Project Scope and requirements
• Attach evidence of an industry visit as an appendix A: Industry visit evidence
• Include points that you have gathered from an industry professional on their existing network.
2. Network design and justification
• Draw a network design that you think will be useful in future for the industry that you have visited. Netwrok should include the following requirements as a miminum:
o 4 routers o 6 switches o 20 PCs o 3 VLAN.
• Suitable IP addressing scheme in tabular form (assume as many hosts as necessary for each department).
• Indicate where do you use static routing, dynamic routing protocols (name the protocols, RIP, EIGRP, OSPF etc.), Access Control List (ACL) as per the network preferences. Justify your choices.
3. Network configuration
Configure your network using Packet Tracer. Write report on
• Packet Tracer Network diagram - Copy diagram from your simulator
• Switch configuration
• Router configuration
• Host configuration
• Access point and server configuration guidelines.
4. Timeline and Budget estimation
This section should include the followings:
• Hardware requirements with the specification with costs • Human resources and logistics • Tentative timeline specifications.
• Individual demonstration of packet tracer in Week 7.
• Mandotory to demonstrate work-in-progress demonstration in week 5 and 6.
The following tentative marking criteria will be followed for the assignment.
Marks Section to be included in the report Description of the section
5 Project Scope and requirements Outline of the report (in 3-4 sentences), and briefly discuss the requirements (not more than 10-12 sentences).
10 Network design and justification • Well-designed network diagram.
• Labelled with IP addresses.
• A clear description of the approach taken for the design (may use bullet points for this).
10 Network topology diagram and implementation • Well-designed topology diagram with simulating software.
• Network devices and appropriate command for the configuration should be detailed for implementation purposes.
• It would be best to have
• Comments for the commands used for configuration. For example, the following commands are for the dynamic routing protocol used for the configuration, the following commands for VLANs, creating trunk links, static routes, etc.
• Connectivity testing ping snapshots.
5 Timeline and Budget estimation • Hardware requirements with the specification with costs
• Name of the network device with manufacturer’s name, series, model and ports - Type of the cables - Name of the server, PC with specification such as operating system, RAM, hard disk, etc.
• Cost specification of the hardware should be included.
• Human resources cost need to be included on an hourly basis.
• Timeline for the completion of the should be detailed.
3 Summary Well comprehended summary.
2 Reference style IEEE reference style.
35 Total Marks
Marks Demonstration Description
10 Work progression
Work progression record and consultation will be on week 5 and 6 by the lab tutor. Allocated marks to be awarded accordingly.
10 Packet tracer demo Demonstration of the network design in packet tracer on week 7.
20 Total Marks
The details about the rubric are as follows:
80% and above D 70 - 79% CR 60 - 69% P 50 - 59% Fail
Project scope and
(5) Concise and specific to the project Topics relevant and soundly analysed Generally relevant and analysed Some relevance and
briefly presented Not relevant to the assignment topic
Network design and justification
(10) Demonstrated excellent ability to think
critically and sourced reference material appropriately Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically but did not source material appropriately Demonstrated an average ability to think
critically and sourced reference material appropriately Demonstrated an average ability to think critically but did not sourced reference material appropriately Did not demonstrate
the ability to think critically and did not sourced reference material appropriately
Network topology diagram and
implementatio n (10) All elements are present and very well integrated Components present with good cohesion Components presented and mostly well integrated Most components present and an average integration Lacks components and not integrated well
Timeline and Budget estimation
(5) Excellent description and
justification and well budgeted Excellent description and
justification and but poorly budgeted Good
justification and well budgeted Good
justification but no well budgeted Poor description and
justification poorly budgeted
(3) Excellent comprehensio n and precise Excellent comprehensio n and but fuzzy Average comprehensio n and but clear Average comprehensio n and but fuzzy Not well
d and fuzzy
IEEE Reference style (2) Clear styles with an excellent source of references Clear referencing style Generally good referencing style Sometimes
clear referencing style Lacks consistency with many errors
Demonstratio n (Work progression check (10) ) and (Packet tracer demo
Logic is clear and easy to follow with strong arguments Consistent logic and convincing Mostly consistent logic and convincing Adequate cohesion and conviction The argument is confused and disjointed