Due date Friday 9 August @ 11:59pm
Submission Please submit your assignment using the link below. Note your assignment must be in Microsoft Office (.docx) format and the filename in the following filename format:
FOM Ass2 [yourname] [your student id].docx
Submit Your Assignment by clicking here
Word limit/page limit 300-350 words per question - ~700-750w (+/-10%), plus references
Type of assignment Individual assessment
Weighting 15% of the total marks for this subject
Grading criteria: Assignment specific grading criteria as per the rubric below.
Important notes ONLY use the LTU Harvard Referencing style. ONLY Microsoft Office document types are accepted. ONLY Font size Times New Roman 12. Please make sure you use paragraphs throughout the report.
You MUST keep a duplicate copy of your assignment
Please answer all the following questions based on Weeks 2, 3, 4 and 5 and submit your answers through Turnitin by Friday 9 August. Note the required filename format for submissions -
your name student id FOM Ass2.DOCX. Submissions must be in Microsoft word format. Other file formats will NOT be accepted.
Answers to each question should be around 300-350 words.
You are REQUIRED to a minimum of 3 academic references journal articles to support each answer
1. Weber developed the Principles of Bureaucracy to build organizations that would make the best possible decisions for a business. How do these principles work together to produce this kind of decision making?
2. What did the Hawthorne studies contribute to our understanding of Teamwork and Motivation?
See the following sections for hints and resources
Grading Criteria Assessment Task 2: Critical Reflections Exercises (15%)
Criteria Standard Exceeded Standard met Standard not met Marks
Clarity A very clear understanding of one’s own thinking and learning processes by examining openly own experiences and clearly articulating and reflecting on the questions. An understanding of one’s own thinking and learning processes by examining openly own experiences and with some articulation and the reflection on the questions
No clear understanding of one’s own thinking and learning processes by examining openly own experiences and no articulation or reflection on the questions.
Relevance Consistently relates to the reflection questions provided and cites examples from the required text Occasionally relates to the reflection questions provided and cites some examples from the required text. Reflection does not relate to the questions provided and provides no examples from required texts.
Expression Expresses opinions and ideas in a clear manner with obvious connection to the topic. Opinions and ideas are stated clearly with occasional lack of connection to the topic. Does not express opinions and ideas clearly and no connection to the topic.
3.1 Assignment 2 Hints - General
1. You need at least 3 academic references (not web-sites) for each questions. Use the provided readings in each block if it makes sense to do so; also Google Scholar.
2. If you use material from the Lectures, Slides or the Topic e-books, you can consider these as being part of the subject text and refer to them as follows:
Cite : La Trobe University, 2016
Reference: La Trobe University, 2016 Foundations of Management, McGraw Hill
3. Watch your citation and reference practice. These academic skills contribute 20-25% of your assignment mark. See the web-site achieve@uni for more information on this.
4. Take your own notes and write your answers based on your notes; do not cut and paste from other sources.
3.2 Assignment 2 Hints: Q1
Q2. Weber developed the Principles of Bureaucracy to build organizations that would make the best possible decisions for a business. How do these principles work together to produce this kind of decision making?
This is specifically about the nature of Bureaucratic Organisations - not decision making.. Make sure you check the lecture summary, the lecture slides and other sources.
A good answer to this question will include
1) A brief explanation of the principles of Bureaucracy
2) One or more examples of how these principles work together to ensure the best possible decision is made.
Note there is an article in the lecture block - Blau and Mayer - which may be useful here. Remember you need to cite the text and 2-3 additional academic references.
3.3 Assignment 2 Hints: Q2
Q3. What did the Hawthorne studies contribute to our understanding of Teamwork and Motivation?
A good answer will:
1. Briefly explain the ideas of teamwork and motivation
2. How these were thought about before the Hawthorne Studies?
3. Explain the findings of these studies in relation to these ideas; and
4. Conclude why these may still be important to managers today.
With at least 3 references and appropriate citations.
(Please have a look at chapter 4: The Human Organisation [ see https://www.unf.edu/~djaffee/Org%20Theory/chap4.pdf], together with the article by Mayo (available on Moodle) to support your answer)
3.4 Assignment 2: Final Check
Before you submit your assignment, Have you checked that -
1. Each question uses and cites AT LEAST 3 references i?
2. That all the references cited are listed in your reference list and your Reference List is correctly formatted AND sorted in alphabetical order? See http://www.lib.latrobe.edu.au/referencing-tool/ if you are not sure.
3. That you have answered each part of each question, and that you have actually answered the question itself?
4. That your document is well presented, free of spelling errors and follows the required naming convention?
5. That you've checked your Turnitin report at least once before the final submission?
Note If you use the lectures or lecture summaries, you can cite these simply as (La Trobe University 2016). The reference is
La Trobe University, 2016 Foundations of Management, McGraw Hill, Melbourne Australia