SIT382 System Security Assignment 1 (The Essay) Trimester 2 2019
- To understand the critical security and privacy issues in Internet of Things specifically in relation to Smart City.
- To demonstrate the ability to research and apply proper techniques to address a given security threat / vulnerability.
- To gain experiences in writing a proper essay for a specific topic.
Due Date: 5pm Friday August 9, 2019
Delays caused by computer downtime cannot be accepted as a valid reason for late submission without penalty. Students must plan their work to allow for both scheduled and unscheduled downtime.
You must submit an electronic copy of all your assignment solution in only Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) via CloudDeakin. The PDF format may cause issues in the Turnitin system. So please avoid to use PDF format.
It is the student's responsibility to ensure that they understand the submission instructions. If you have ANY difficulties, ask the Tutor for assistance (prior to the submission date).
Copying, Plagiarism Issues:
This is an individual assessment. You are not permitted to work as a part of a group when writing this assignment.
Plagiarism is the use of other people's words, ideas, research findings or information without acknowledgement, that is, without indicating the source. Plagiarism is regarded as a very serious offence in Western academic institutions and Deakin University has procedures and penalties to deal with instances of plagiarism.
In order not to plagiarise, all material from all sources must be correctly referenced. It is necessary to reference direct quotes, paraphrases and summaries of sources, statistics, diagrams, images, experiment results and laboratory data – anything taken from sources.
When plagiarism is detected, penalties are strictly imposed. The University’s policy on plagiarism can be viewed, online, at http://www.deakin.edu.au/students/study- support/referencing/plagiarism.
SIT382 Assignment 1: An Essay
Due Date: 5pm @ August 9, 2019
Total marks: 20
Over decades, the development of Internet and communications technologies has introduced a virtual world to everyone’s daily life. In this virtual world, people are able to conduct a large number of activities similar in the real world. Subsequently, a question is raised, which is how to build a bridge between the real and the virtual world. To answer this question, an innovative technology has been studied for many years and now is being widely used, which is called Internet of Things (IoT). By taking the advantages of affordable sensors and wireless communications, the sensor networks are capable of digitising human activities in the real world, which can be utilised directly in the virtual world.
However, from the security point of view, IoT is not flawless. Actually, a large number of security issues can also be observed in IoT system. Consequently, not only the IoT system will be attacked, but end users’ privacy will also lose. Therefore, in recent years, the security and privacy issues in IoT have been a hot topic in research field.
Below is a list of possible essay topics. In this assignment, you are required to complete an essay relating the security or privacy problem, consisting of 1500-2000 words (minimum 1500 words, single spaced, 12pt fonts, on the A4-sized paper) on ONE of these topics.
Possible essay topics
1. Security in IoT. In this essay, you investigate specifically the security problem of IoT in the context of Smart City. You need to describe why security issues exist in IoT and what types of security issues are commonly observed. You then select a security issue and analyse it in detail. After that, you describe and compare existing methods to defend against and solve the security issue according to some criteria, such as effectiveness and cost of deployment. Alternatively, you can propose a new or improved method or technique to defend against or solve the security issue and describe the effectiveness of your method / technique.
2. Privacy in IoT. In this essay, the privacy issue is to be investigated for IoT in the context of Smart City. You need to describe why privacy problems exist in IoT and what kinds of privacy information is more likely to be violated. You then select an attack that may lead to the loss of privacy and analyse it in details. Further comparisons with existing methods to defend against this attack are expected to be done according to certain defined criteria, such as effectiveness and cost of deployment. Alternatively, you can propose a new or an improved method or technique to defend against the attack and describe the effectiveness of your method / technique.
Diagrams and examples may help to explain your thoughts. Bonus marks may be awarded if you propose the new architecture, method, algorithm, technique, etc. However, these proposals will be closely examined by the assessor. You need to make sure (e.g., prove formally or informally) that your proposal is correct and meets your design goals (for example, improves the performance, be more secure, or be more scalable).
Marking criteria for the Essay