1. Define the following key terms associated with mental illness.
a. Mental health:
b. Mental illness:
2. Briefly describe the key features of the mental health legislation applicable to your State or Territory under the following headings:
? Involuntary admission
? Consumer rights (provide any five rights)
? Involuntary review processes/ involuntary assessment
? Seclusion and restraint
? Admission procedures
? Community treatment orders
? Role of the mental health practitioner
3. Briefly describe the following three (3) principles of recovery in the mental health context in a consumer point of view.
• Recovery is self directed- Individuals and carers can track their own progress
• Recovery oriented mental health practice empowers individuals so they recognise that they are at the centre of the care they receive.
• Recovery includes support from others
4. Briefly describe the role of evidence based practice in the context of recovery in mental health.
5. Briefly describe the purpose of the ‘National framework for recovery-orientated mental health services’ published by the Department of Health (Australian Government)
6. Briefly describe the application of Barker's Tidal Model of Mental Health Recovery in your mental health nursing practice.
7. Briefly describe any three (3) examples each of social, psychological, cognitive and physical factors associated with mental health conditions.
Social- Gender, race, ethnicity
8. Discuss the impact of stigma, discrimination, culture and belief systems on a person with a mental health condition.
9. Briefly describe any three (3) strategies for managing oral health issues in a person with mental illness.
10. Briefly describe how the following factors cause oral health issues in a person with mental illness.
a. Side effects of medication: Patients with mental illness have risk of oral and dental diseases. The main cause is side effects of the medications that they receive.
b) Poor Nutrition
c) Reduced motivation for self-care:
11. Outline the broad classification of mental health conditions under the following classification systems.
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM – 5)
International Classification of Diseases (ICD - 10)
Psychotic Disorders- Hallucination, delusions
12. Complete the following table describing the treatment and management of identified common mental health conditions.
Common mental health conditions –
Personality Disorder Psychotherapy, P
Anxiety Disorder • Psychotherapy- Insight based or behaviourally based treatment
• Combination therapy
Social phobia and specific phobias such as fear of animals
Post traumatic stress disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Boarderline personality disorder
Mental health conditions Signs and symptoms
Post traumatic stress disorder
13. Describe the values and philosophies that apply to mental health care.
14. Discuss seven (7) of the signs and symptoms of the following mental health conditions.
15 Explain the biological and psychosocial effects of mental health conditions.
16. Explore and discuss consumer and carer perspectives on mental health care.