Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Trimester T1 2019
Unit Code HC1041
Unit Title Information Technology for Business
Assessment Type Individual assessment
Assessment Title Report: IT impact on business
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO
Mapping) Students are required to research on a real life business and the impact of IT on the chosen business.
1. Students will be able to evaluate and justify theoretical and practical knowledge of information technology in a business context.
2. Students will be able to analyse information technology issues in a business environment and provide solutions to these issues using their knowledge of information technology and practical techniques in a business environment.
3. Students will be able to apply research skills analysing academic literature and integrating ideas from the literature to the information technology issues in business and in preparation for life-long learning.
4. Students will be able to understand the ICT profession in information technology.
5. Students will be able to communicate using effective oral and written communication tools, act in a professional manner.
6. Students will be able to review and describe the major privacy, legal, ethical and societal issues with respect to managing digital information and information systems.
Weight 25% of the total marks
Total Marks 25
Word limit 1500-2000 words
Due Date Week 10
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Blackboard by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, no spacing, 12-pt Arial font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings and page numbers.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using Harvard referencing style.
Assignment 2 Specifications
The purpose of this assignment is to find recent news that involves information security breaches, analyse the chosen news and produce a report.
You are to research a real life business example of your choice and the impact of IT on that business.
1) Does your chosen business need IT?
2) Why IT is important for business survival?
3) What is required to apply IT into your chosen business? (I.e. cost, planning, designing, equipment, installation, training, etc…)
4) How does your chosen business use IT? (internally such as employees, and externally such as customers, suppliers)
5) What benefits and advantages does IT bring to your chosen business? (I.e. revenue, flexibility, reduces cost, etc….) 6) What type of risks does IT bring to your chosen business? (i.e. security, privacy, confidentiality) 7) How can your chosen business maintain and monitor IT?
Your report will be assessed on the quality of your research and report presentation. Discussion must be relevant to your chosen business. Your report is to be in the style of a business report. There is a limit of ten pages excluding appendices.
You can choose a business from any of the following industries:
• Food processing
• Banking and finance
• Printing and publishing
• Computer gaming
Trip Advisor --https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/
Telstra -- https://www.telstra.com.au/
Commonwealth Bank of Australia -- https://www.commbank.com.au/ Qantas -- https://www.qantas.com/au/en.html
Marking criteria Weighting
Clear statement of purpose, clarity of methods and assumptions; systematic approach to project.
2. Use of resources:
Application of relevant course concepts, tools and frameworks use of evidences, engagement with the literature.
• Balanced coverage of each of the important points,
• Richness of analysis;
• Flow of ideas;
• Validity of objectives,
• Use of own insight and originality;
• Feasibility of recommendations and implementation consideration
4. Organization and Presentation:
Clarity of structure, quality of presentation, style and readability.
Title page, Table of contents, List of abbreviations and/or glossary,
Executive summary/abstract, Introduction, Body, Conclusion Recommendations, Bibliography, Appendices
5. Citation practice:
Appropriate citation of sources and evidences used. 5%
TOTAL Weight 100%
Assessment Feedback to the Student
Criteria NA Not Satisfacto ry P C D HD Outstandin
Introducti on Weight
5.00% 0 % Not provide
d. 25 % Provided but have not introduce d the topic of the report. 50 % Introduces the topic of the research report, but omits a general backgroun
d of the topic and/or the overall -plan- of the report. 60 %
introduces the topic of the research report.
Either general backgroun d or the report structure is missing. 70 % Satisfactoril y introduces the topic of the research report.
Gives a general backgroun.
Indicates the overall -plan- of the report. 80 % Introduces the topic of the research report in an engaging manner which arouses the reader's interest.
Gives some general background and indicates the overall -plan- of the report. 100 % Introduces the topic of the research report in an extremely engaging manner which arouses the reader's interest.
Gives a detailed general background and indicates the overall -plan-.
Resource use Weight
25.00% 0 % Not provide
d. 25 % Insufficie nt range or
e evidence used. 50 %
Insufficient supportive evidence used. Not always appropriat e and/or current. 60 % Supportive evidence used. Not always appropriat e and/or current.
Minimum cited. 70 %
current, supportive evidence used. 80 % A sufficient range of appropriate and current supportive evidence. 100 % An exceptional number and range of appropriate and current, supportive evidence.
60.00% 0 % Not provide
d. 25 % Have not addresse
seven points. 50 % Most of the seven points are addressed satisfactori ly.
n provided. Discussion lacks depth. 60 % All seven points are addressed satisfactori ly.
Discussion is not specific on the chosen business. Discussion is too generic and lacks depth. 70 % All seven points are
Demonstrat ed good understandi ng of the chosen business. Discussion focuses on the chosen business. 80 %
Discussion of is of high
quality. Indepth analysis provided. Good understandi ng of the chosen business. Good understandi ng of the issues raised in the seven points. 100 % Exceptional understandi ng of the IT issues raised in the seven points. A
thorough analysis of the chosen business. Exceptional research effort on both the business and the seven points.