Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Trimester T1 2019
Unit Code HC2121
Unit Title Comparative Business Ethics & Social Responsibility
Assessment Type Individual
Assessment Title Individual Essay
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO
Mapping) Students able to:
1. Distinguish the difference between personal and business ethics in organisation
2. Ability to identify stakeholders role in business ethics, define social responsibility, explore the role of corporate governance in structuring ethics and social responsibility in business
3. Compare and contrast diverse approaches to ethical decision making
Weight 15 % of the total assessments
Total Marks Assessment will be marked out 50, then it will be converted to 15%
Word limit Not more than 1,500 words
Due Date Week 6 (Sunday 5th May 2019, 5PM) – Regular Mode;
Sunday, 19th of May 2019, 5PM – Block mode
Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Blackboard by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, no spacing, 12-pt Arial font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings and page numbers.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using Harvard referencing style.
Assignment 1 Specifications
Choose a recent news/media article that has been published within the last 3 months that concerns a business ethics issue/s within Australia only and answer the following questions using an essay style format:
1. Introduction and conclusion
• Your introduction should be a short summary of the article and your plan for answering the questions.
• Your conclusion should be a concise statement that is consistent with your introduction
2. The outline and summary should show that you understand issues raised from an ethical Perspective Outline/summary of arguments demonstrates clear understanding of relevance to ethics not just personal ethics and legal ramifications (if applicable)
3. Demonstrate own decision making/judgement processes in relation to the ethical issue demonstrating of how individual ethical judgements are made and how they may vary.
4. Provide an outline of relevant ethical moral philosophies demonstrates an understanding of the ethical moral philosophies discussed in class and can apply philosophy to actions/consequences.
5. A minimum of 10 reference lists from reputable sources are required. For example, journal article, business magazines and textbook.
6. Attached a copy of your selected article as an appendix of your essay.
Use of academic writing and referencing including attention to spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Adherence to the Harvard style guide as listed in the Holmes academic course guide must be used (both in text and reference list)
HIGH LOW 7-8 6 UNACCEPTABLE
Content _____ out of 10 points Interesting content and presentation; ideas well conceived and
developed with sufficient examples. Some interesting content; points not sustained or not fully developed. Conventional ideas or clichés; little supporting detail included. Cursory; gives the impression of writing just to complete the assignment.
9-10 7-8 6 4-5
Analysis _____ out of 10 points Essay shows a resourceful and imaginative
analysis using ideas and
introduced in the module Shows evidence of analysis using ideas and principles
introduced in the module The essay is largely descriptive with some discussion using ideas and principles
introduced in the module Essay is generally descriptive and uncritical. Some inaccuracy in the material
Structure, Logic and Transitions _____ out of 5 points Logical
progression of ideas with wellexecuted transitions. Logical progression of ideas but often lacks transitions. Gaps in logic or no transitions. Disorganized; appears to have been written as thoughts occurred to the writer.
5 4 3 2
Grammatical Accuracy _____ out of 5 points Appropriate level of complexity in syntax with very few errors, if any. Confined to simpler sentences or structures with very few errors OR shows variety and complexity in syntax with errors that do not affect comprehensibility. Errors frequently
affect comprehensibility, or very basic types of errors (subject-verb agreement; nounadjective agreement, etc.) Message is largely incomprehensible due to inaccurate grammar, which
alters or obscures it, OR reader must know English to comprehend much of the message.
5 4 2-3 0
Word Choice _____ out of 5 points Uses sufficient, appropriate, and varied vocabulary; English influence not apparent; rich variety of idioms; no literal translation from English. Usually uses appropriate vocabulary with some variety; some errors in usage that do not affect the message; occasional appropriate use of Spanish idioms. Often uses inappropriate, or nonspecific vocabulary; lack of variety in word choice; avoids use of idioms; Englishinfluenced word choice. Uses only elementary vocabulary; creates non-existent words from English OR uses words in English; translates English idioms verbatim.
5 4 2-3 0
Punctuation, Spelling, and
Presentation _____ out of
Correct spelling (including accents) and punctuation; neatly typed with correct format as specified (MLA). Occasional mechanical errors. Frequent mechanical errors. English spelling and punctuation: no accents; mechanical errors in most sentences.
9-10 7-8 6 4-5
Reading and Referencing _____ out of 10 points Essay fully supported by reference to relevant up to date material. Accurate Clear evidence of wide and relevant reading. Accurate use of Harvard referencing technique Effective use of key reading. Accurate use of Harvard referencing system Some use of very limited reading, although fairly superficial.
Inaccurate use of
use of Harvard referencing technique. Harvard referencing system
Total _____ out of 50 points
Final Weight _____ out of 15 points