Webb, M. (2016). Chapter 15: Nursing care across the life span – older adults. In. Koutoukidis, G, Stainton, K & Hughson, J., Tabbner’s nursing care. (7th ed.). Elsevier, China.
? Department of Health – Australian Government. (2019). Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI) Reports. Retrieved from https://agedcare.health.gov.au/tools-and-resources/aged-care-fundinginstrument-acfi-reports
? Federal register of Legislation. (n.d). Aged Care Act 1997. Retrieved from https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C2004A05206
? Government of South Australia. (n.d.). Carers Recognition Act 2005. Retrieved from https://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/CARERS%20RECOGNITION%20ACT%202005.aspx
? healthdirect. (2017). Complementary therapies. Retrieved from https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/complementary-therapies
? Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia. (2018). Professional standards. Retrieved from http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/Professionalstandards.aspx
? SA Health. (n.d.). Older persons mental health services. Retrieved from http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/health+servi ces/mental+health+services/older+persons+mental+health+services
Part A – Short-answer questions:
1. Describe the potential impacts of dual or multiple diagnoses in a nursing perspective on identification and prioritisation of the older person’s needs. ?
2. Briefly describe the purpose of providing counselling and support services for the elderly in an aged care context. ?
3. Describe the role of bereavement counsellors in a residential aged care facility. ?
4. Describe the role of the Older Persons Mental Health Service (OPMHS) in South Australia.?
5. Differentiate between end-of-life care and palliative care ?
6. Discuss the limitations and legal ramifications of the following forms of restraint:
a. Physical restraints: ?
b. Chemical restraints ?
c. Psychological restraints: ?
7. For each area below, discuss the legal aspects (surrounding both the legislation or assessment tools) and its relevance to the aged care sector.?
a. Advance care directives
b.Aged Care Act 1997 (Cwlth) ?
c.Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI) ?
d.Carers Recognition Act 2005 (South Australia ?
e.Aged care risk classification system ?
f. Code of Ethics for Nurses in Australia
g. Code of Conduct for Nurses (NMBA)
h. Residential care quality assessment (RESCAREQA)
8. Briefly describe the role of primary health care services in supporting older people. ?
9. In addition to GP clinics, what other resources and facilities offer primary health care services to older people? Discuss two (2) resources and facilities. ?
10.Physical triggers for behaviours of older people may vary. Describe how the following physical triggers contribute to behaviours of older people:
?a. Untreated or chronic pain:
b. Not wearing the prescribed hearing aids or not using alternative listening devices:
11.Discuss the prevalence of cancer in older people. Provide three (3) examples of commonly found cancers in older people.
12.What are complementary therapies? Discuss nurse initiated complementary therapies.
13.Briefly describe the application of distraction and behavioural modification in responding to challenging behaviours.
14.Briefly describe the management of overflow incontinence. Discuss various equipment and aids used in continence care (urinary) of older people in general.
15.Research and discuss:
• Key considerations and documentation requirements after the death of a person ?
• Preparation of the person’s body for the family to view or send to the mortuary or to a funeral facility (standard procedure). ?
16.Research and briefly describe the oral hygiene for a partial or fully edentulous person. Include in your response:
• Care of dental prosthetics ?
• Care when cleaning dentures ?
• • Screening for oral health conditions
• • Care of oral soft tissues
17.Briefly describe the functional assessment tools for assessing older people. Include in your response:
• Assessment of patients with gait instability and fall risk
• Screening for cognitive impairment.
18.Briefly describe legal and ethical issues and considerations relevant to older people.
19.Explore and briefly describe:
• What dementia is ?
• Strategies and nursing interventions that can be used with people with dementia. ?
20.Outline five common stereotypes associated with ageing. Discuss influences of stereotypes on ageing.
21.Discuss the importance of a safe, physical, social and emotional environment for all older people, especially people with dementia.