Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Trimester T1 2019
Unit Code MN603
Unit Title Wireless Networks and Security
Assessment Type Individual Assignment 1
Title Wireless networks performance evaluation
Purpose of the assessment
Mapping) The purpose of the assignment is to compare the wireless communication technologies and evaluate their performance. Students will be able to complete the following ULOs:
b. Compare standards-based technologies used in various networks;
c. Test and evaluate various wireless networks performance;
Total Marks 60
Word limit 1500 – 2000 words
Due Date 03/05/2019 5:00PM
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
Extension • If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly on AMS. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment.
Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policiesprocedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-PolicyProcedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
Wireless networks performance varies from wired networks, the latter uses a guided medium and wireless networks use unguided medium for transmission. To design and simulate wireless networks the network simulator - 2 (NS - 2), an open source discreet event simulator could be used. The NS-2 simulator is a widely used simulation tool, which could generate trace files for analysis and comes with a network animator to visualize the network performance.
This assessment requires students to compare and evaluate the performance of wireless routing protocols using the NS-2. The assessment requires students to design a wireless network topology in NS-2 and evaluate the generated trace files for two different wireless routing protocols. The students are required to carry out a critical analysis of the results of the two routing protocols, by plotting graphs and discussing the outcomes.
The students are required to:
• Design a wireless network consisting of 20 nodes; the dimensions for the given topology are 400x300. The agent type should be UDP and the traffic CBR. The simulation should run for 300 seconds. Uniform deployment of nodes is required and the nodes are required to transmit packets over the network. The wireless node configuration should include the NS-2 energy model.
• Run the simulation on two different routing protocols such as DSDV, AODV, DSR, and TORA. Critically analyse the trace files in terms of packets sent, received, dropped and energy consumed. These parameters should be plotted on graphs and discussed in detail
• Include screenshots of the NAM displaying the nodes uniformly deployed during the simulation and add at least 3 screen shots of the simulation.
• Appendix I should include the tcl srcript used in each simulation.
Section to be included in the report Description of the section Marks
Introduction Outline of the report ( in 3-4 sentences) 4
Report Layout Report layout, style and language 5
Network Design The network topology shown in the NAM 5
Simulation Three simulation screen shots for each routing protocol at 50s, 150s and 250s simulation time with description of the ongoing events. 12
Trace file analysis Provide a critical analysis of the two trace files in terms of
packets sent, received, dropped and energy consumption. 8
Results Plot the graphs for packets sent, received, dropped and energy consumption for the two protocols. 8
Conclusion Write summary of the report 4
Reference style Follow IEEE reference style 4
Appendix 1 The tcl files for each routing protocol 10
Marking Rubric for Assignment #1: Total Marks 60
Grade Mark HD 80% -100% DI
70% – 79% CR 60 – 69% P 50% – 59% Fail
Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
/4 All topics are pertinent and covered in depth. Ability to think critically and
source material is demonstrated Topics are relevant and soundly analysed. Generally relevant and analysed. Some relevance and briefly presented. This is not relevant to the assignment topic.
/5 Exceptional report layout, style and language used Very good report
layout, style and language used Good report layout, style and language used Acceptable report layout, style and language used. Poor report layout, style and language used.
excellent ability to think critically and present an exceptional design considering all the requirements Demonstrat ed good
ability to think critically and present an exceptional design considering all the
s Demonstrate d good ability to think critically and present a good design considering all the requirements. Demonstrated ability to think critically and present a design Did not
ability to think critically and present a design.
/12 Excellent screen shot of the uniformly deployed nodes Very good screen shot of the uniformly deployed nodes Good screen shot of the uniformly deployed nodes Screen shot of the uniformly deployed nodes. Failed to provide a screenshot of the uniformly deployed nodes
Trace file analysis
/8 Excellent analysis of the trace files.
covered all aspects. Very Good analysis of
the trace files Good analysis of trace files Some analysis provided of trace files Lacking analysis of trace files
/8 Excellent graphs well labelled and clear Very Good graphs well labelled and clear Good graphs well labelled and clear Graphs not well labelled and clear Failed to provide graphs
/4 Logic is clear and easy to follow with strong arguments Consistency logical and convincing Mostly consistent logical and convincing Adequate cohesion and conviction Argument is confused and disjointed
/4 Clear styles with excellent source of references. Clear referencing style Generally good referencing style Sometimes
clear referencing style Lacks consistency with many errors
The tcl files were well commented The tcl files were complete and missing a few comments The tcl files
were complete with some comments The tcl files were missing comments The tcl files were missing