Assignment 1 – Practical Programming Project
Due date: Refer to Assignment Submission Dropbox on VU Collaborate
Weighting: 20% of total assessment
Coverage: This assessment item is based on course content in weeks 1- 4
This assessment is designed to assess your understanding of variables, constants, types, operators, input/output, loops, if statements, classes, objects and functions.
Victory Chair Hire is a company renting 3 different types of chairs for casual conferences & outdoor functions. Types of chairs they offer are, Packer Stacker Chairs, High Back Plastic Chairs and Lecture Chairs. Most of Victory Chair Hire’s customers are educational institutions, holding one day conferences or workshops. Therefore, chairs are hired for only one day. The chairs are delivered on the morning of the required day and collected within the next 2 days. All chair hire charges are for a single day.
Table below shows daily hire prices for chair types.
Chair type ordered Price of a chair (including tax)
Packer stacker chair $5.00 per chair
High back chair $10.50 per chair
Lecture chair $15.00 per chair
Create a C# application that calculate and displays chair hire cost for N number of online registered customers.
Note: Set N as a constant variable, which you can easily change. Initially set it to a value to be equal to the largest digit of your student id number (e.g. if your student id is s3025423 then N should be equal to 5). Assume N=4, if the largest digit of your student id number is less than 4.
• The application should ask the user to enter the customer name, the type of the chair to hire, and the number of chairs to order.
• If the order is for 100 or more chairs, the order is considered to be a large order. For large orders, the final total is calculated at a 5% discount (irrespective of the chair type). For example, ordering 50 packer stacker chairs will cost $250.00, while ordering 100 of the same type chairs will cost only $475.00.
• The minimum order should be at least 20 chairs, and the largest order is 500. An error message should be issued if a user enters a value beyond this range and re-entering the order quantity is required.
• The program makes a calculation of the order and displays the result as shown in the figure below. The program should kept on running with entering next set of input data.
• After all N sets of input data are entered from the keyboard, your program will also display the information that includes the customer spending most, the customer spending least as well as a simple bar chart to display how many customers place small orders and how many placed large orders with the number. Small order is less than 100 chairs. The output should look as shown in the figure below.
• The application should be user-friendly by displaying appropriate welcome, exit and error messages. Your program should run as normal without changing any source code except setting N with a different value.
You are required to submit two files:
1. Your application project packed as a single zip file.
2. A user manual document to show how your program works, provide screenshot and test cases. Assignment Cover Sheet with your name and student ID should be added at the beginning as a cover page. Document should be submitted in Word format.
(The document and the project should be submitted separately. DO NOT zip the files)
Your assignment will be marked based on the specified functionalities, use of loops and If statements, the use of classes and objects, input and output functionality, user-friendly features and report presentation.
For late submission is -5% each day.