The goal of this task is to integrate and apply knowledge of pathophysiology and safe administration of medication to a patient scenario. This will also incorporate new drug design and your creative and critical thinking in the application to the patient scenario. You will consider the professional, ethical and legal codes, and practice standards relevant to decision making and safe medication practice.
In this task, you will provide a Written assignment response to a case study.
IMP NOTE: Ensure that you specifically apply and integrate your answers with the information from your case study; avoid simply describing a disease or a drug.
Case Study A: 58 year old female (non-pregnant)
Sharon is a 58 year old female, who is 170cm tall, weighs 120kg, and has a waist circumference of 110cm. She was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago, and takes metformin (Metformin Sandoz 1000mg, twice per day). She states that her usual blood glucose levels (BGLs) are 8 to 11mmol/L throughout the day, and 7 to 8mmol/L when she wakens in the morning. Her BP is 140/95mmHg. She now has consistent evidence of chronic kidney disease, with an eGFR of 85ml/minute and some proteinuria.
1. Interpret and explain how Sharon’s diabetes and chronic kidney disease are related, including an explanation of how metformin works to benefit her condition/s. Ensure that you apply concepts of pharmacodynamics in your answer. ?
2. Compare Sharon’s BGLs with the normal BGL values, including whether her BGLs should be different to her current values. ?
3. It has been suggested that she should add Glucovance 500mg/2.5mg to her current medication/s list. Explain one main concern you have about this addition. ?
4. Suggest two NEW medications that could potentially be “invented” to prevent or treat specific aspects relating to Sharon’s diabetes or chronic kidney disease. Describe these in two separate paragraphs. You may invent a name for each drug (optional). You need to brainstorm how both potential medications would directly relate to her case study information, in relation to the relevant pathophysiology and your new drugs’ mechanisms of action. (NOTE: Please do NOT include considerations of practicalities of the drugs such as route of administration or side effects. It is important that you do NOT describe any existing medication in this question, which would result in a fail for this criterion.) ?
5. Choose any one of the relevant statements from either the Registered Nurse Standards for Practice or the ICN Code of Ethics for Nurses, that would guide your nursing care of Sharon within a clinical setting. Explain how your chosen statement applies to Sharon’s case and how it would inform your nursing practice. ?
6. 1500 words (+/- 10%). Word count includes in-text citations and excludes reference list. ?
7. Please start a new WORD document, and then type your answers to each question within ?this document. Answer each question as Q1 ... (answer); on a new line start Q2 ...(answer), and so on. Do not copy the actual questions into your document. Include your reference list at the end on the final page/s of this document (do not attempt to submit references as a separate document, as SafeAssign will only accept one document). ?
8. 1.5 line spacing and Times New Roman 12-point font. ?
9. Individual assessment item (NO group submission). ?Referencing
At least 8 reputable, academic resources should be cited in your Case study, and must only be from textbooks, journal articles, and reputable academic websites. Multiple sections cited within one resource will be counted as one resource. ?
Use the Harvard Referencing Style Guide to assist you with the correct referencing technique. ?
Resources that will be useful when preparing your Written assignment include:
• The appropriate professional standards for Registered Nurses and for Midwives, which must be used for question 5. In particular, note the following documents:
o NMBA (Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia) Registered Nurse Standards for Practice, 2016
o NMBA (Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia) Midwife Standards for Practice, 2018
o The ICN (International Council of Nurses) Code of Ethics for Nurses, 2012 o The ICM (International Confederation of Midwives) Code of Ethics for
Midwives, 2014?o Links to these documents can be found at these sites:
https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/codes-guidelines- statements/professional-standards.aspx and https://www.internationalmidwives.org/assets/files/definitions- files/2018/06/eng-international-code-of-ethics-for-midwives.pdf
10. Lecture and tutorial materials from NUR231, particularly the resources relating to diabetes and renal conditions ?
11. CMI (Consumer Medicine Information) for relevant medications ?
12. Reputable Australian medication information ?
13. USC Harvard referencing guide (find another attachment)