Assessment item 1
back to top
Masters Research Proposal
Due Date: 26-Apr-2019
Return Date: 20-May-2019
Length: 1500-2000 words
Submission method options: EASTS (online)
back to top
MASTERS RESEARCH PROPOSAL - SWK500
Completion of this research proposal is part of the candidate’s research training. As with any research proposal, all sections must be completed.
1. CANDIDATE and SUPERVISOR(S)
Candidate’s full name (Surname in capital letters):
Co-supervisor (if any):
2. COURSE + COURSE CODE:
Faculty and School: Arts & Education/ School of Humanities and Social Sciences
3. RESEARCH PROPOSAL - (Maximum of 5 pages including some key references)
Please attach to this form a description of your proposed research.
Use the following headings (You may add additional headings to allow for the provision of background information or any other relevant details if you wish).
TITLE OF DISSERTATION / PROJECT -
ABSTRACT (100-150 words) - A brief summary of the research to be undertaken written in non-technical language such that a non-specialist in the discipline will know what the proposal involves.
SYNOPSIS OF LITERATURE (app.300 words) - An introduction/synthesis of the key ideas & references that lead to the statement of the research question and objectives.
RESEARCH QUESTION/OBJECTIVES (100 words or less) - State briefly and clearly the research question & the objectives of the research.
THEORETICAL FRAMEWORK (up to 200 words) - A brief description of the theory or theories that will inform the proposed research.
METHODOLOGY (100-200 words) – A description of how the research will be undertaken.
DATA COLLECTION & ANALYSIS (100-200 words) A description of the type of data your research will produce & how you plan to analyse it.
TIMETABLE FOR COMPLETION (app. 1 page/table format or dot points) – Attach an outline of the major activities required to complete your research and write your dissertation and the date by which you expect to have each activity will be completed.
4. ETHICS APPROVAL
Is the research likely to involve human participants in data collection?
If yes, have you submitted an application for ethics approval to the appropriate committee? If yes, when? If no, when will your application be submitted?
5. COMMERCIAL IN CONFIDENCE
Please indicate whether this research is in an area in which the University has a commercial in confidence agreement with third parties.
If Yes, have you completed a confidentiality agreement?
6. PLACE OF RESEARCH and RESOURCES
Indicate where the research will be conducted.
Indicate what resources (if any) you will need to complete your research which are over and above resources that are readily available in the Library, Computer Centre, Laboratories, etc at the University. (Tick one or more of the following)
University/Place of Work/Other (please specify)
Is it likely that statistical analysis will be required in your project?
If Yes, who will provide statistical expertise?
7. SUPERVISION ARRANGEMENTS
Describe in detail the arrangements you and your supervisor(s) have made for supervision sessions.
You must specify:
1. Mode (e.g. will supervision be done over the telephone/online/in-person?)
2. Frequency (how often will you have supervision sessions?)
3. Format (How will supervision sessions be structured? Will you use an agenda? Who is responsible for this, how/when will it be sent to the supervisor? etc)
4. Communication in-between supervision sessions - what is the preferred method for additional contact between student and supervisor?
8. CANDIDATE’S DECLARATION & SIGNATURE:
I certify that I am familiar with the requirements of the Research Code of Conduct and undertake to conduct my research in accordance with that code.My supervisor and I have discussed supervision arrangements including mode, frequency, format, communication, etc.
Print Name:.…………………………………………… Signature: ....................................................DATE
9. PRINCIPAL SUPERVISOR’S SIGNATURE (you may not submit your proposal without your supervisor's signature - this can be electronic or scanned)
I am prepared to supervise this candidate and the research project and have discussed with the candidate arrangments for supervision sessions, as outlined above.
Print Name:……………………………………………… Signature: ............................................DATE
back to top
This assessment task will assess the following learning outcome/s:
• be able to undertake independent research in the fields of Social Work/Human Services practice and Social Policy Analysis
• be able to demonstrate skills of writing, data anlysis, policy analysis and critical thinking necessary to produce publishable research
To demonstrate the ability to engage in the early phases of a research project and to plan an appropriate Masters research project, including engagement with the research supervisor(s).
Marking criteria and standards