Clinical Project- Assessment 1
Reflective Journal 1500 words (30%) Due Week 5
Students are required to reflect and write an account of clinical issues which include at least 3 to 4 themes related to their specific area of practice
A reflective journal is the perfect place to jot down some of life's biggest thoughts. In a reflective journal, you can write about a positive or negative event that you experienced, what it means or meant to you, and what you may have learned from that experience.
Writing a reflective journal requires not only that you describe a learning experience, but also that you analyse the topics covered and articulate your feelings and opinions about the subject matter.
For example: you could choose clinical issues related to
• meeting the educational needs of the patients, families and significant others
• functioning as a nurse in a multidisciplinary health care team
• communication problems with colleagues/clients/clients’ families
• clinical issues and ethical dilemmas
• time management
• team player
• meeting the ethical/ professional standards
Criterion Available Mark (%)
• Introduction to the reflective journal
• Students must identify their clinical objectives to achieve an understanding of an advanced level of nursing practice.
Content and Analysis
• At least 3 to 4 clinical practice issues are to be identified and analysed, and strategies presented in a logical manner
• Personal feelings and thoughts are presented
• Strategies are presented based on current refereed journal articles
• Logical ordering of ideas; transitions between major points
APA Format and References
• Quality of writing; grammar, spelling, expression, style, presentation, legibility, citations, referencing and bibliography (APA style) 5
• Introduce the clinical issue that will be discussed in the reflective paper.
• Identifies your objectives and outline what you are going to discuss.
Content and Analysis
• A comprehensive critical analysis of a minimum of 3-4 clinical practice issues that have been identified.
• A high level of understanding and reflection which includes personal thoughts and feelings on each critical incident.
• Comprehensive strategies related to the critical incidents are addressed.
• The strategies are based on a minimum of 5-7 current refereed journal articles.
• Headings are clearly labelled and the information under each heading on is very clearly presented and referenced as required.
• Logical and sequential arrangement of arguments and discussions within the body of the paper.
• Use reflective language.
• Conclusion provides a very clear summary of the presentation. No new information is provided.
A guide to write the assignment
• Description of the event and the objectives
• Feelings/ Thought
• Paper needs to meet APA guidelines regarding margins, font, references, etc. All content follows current APA writing guidelines.