Assignment 1 (Strategic Analysis)
H15019 STRATEGIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS T3 2018
WEEK 6 Friday 5 pm
Each student will write a strategic analysis report of NOT more than 2500 words. The report should demonstrate that the student has thoroughly researched their topic. Students should use examples of business practice from the scholarly journals papers, conferences, books and professional magazines to support their arguments. The strategic analysis will be on a local company. The report consists of two parts and should cover the following requirements:
1. Business background
2. What industry is it?
3. General environment analysis (economic, physical, sociocultural, global,
technological, political/legal and demographic — and work out what the important facts are).
4. The industry environment ((i.e., supplier power, buyer power, potential entrants, substitute products and rivalry among competitors) and explain briefly what is significant for each).
5. Competitive environment (Is there a strategic group that you need to take account of? What is the rivalry like in this group? What capabilities do the relevant firms have? What strategies do they follow? What threats do they represent?)
6. Opportunities and threats
(Internal analysis and proposal)
1. The firm's resources, tangible and intangible
2. Capabilities identification (explain the capabilities carefully to indicate what the firm really does.)
3. Core competency analysis (For each capability, indicate which of the four tests for a
core competency it meets).
4. Propose a suitable information system solution that meets the chosen company needs.
5. Evaluate the proposed system and provide your recommendations
The research should include a list of at least seven (7) references and a bibliography of the
wider reading done to familiarize oneself with the topic.
• Soft copy to Self-check and Final Submission with cover sheet
You are reminded to read the -Plagiarism- section of the course description. Your research should be a synthesis of ideas from a variety of sources expressed in your own words. All reports must use the Harvard referencing style. Marking rubrics are attached.