Assessment 1: Report
This assessment is for these students only: Gold Coast; Melbourne - Hotel School; Online; SCU Melbourne; SCU Perth; SCU Sydney; Sydney - Hotel School.
Due: Thursday 29 November 2018
Length: 2,500 words
For this assignment you will have to prepare a paper that critically discusses how organisations apply the strategic use of IS/IT to achieve IS/IT-enabled innovation (Note: you should try to focus on information systems rather than mobile apps and social media platforms & applications). Some aspects and issues you may discuss in your paper could include (but are not limited to):
• Discuss at least 4 examples of the use of IS/IT for innovation.
• Highlight some success factors or some lessons learned (i.e., what went wrong?) for your examples.
• Discuss the impacts of internal factors (e.g., organisational, individual, and management factors) and external factors (e.g., market, industry, social, economic, technological and political/policy factors) on the success (or the failure) of IS/IT enabled innovation.
• Suggest recommendations and guidelines for helping organisations succeed in their efforts to embark on using IS/IT for innovation with good explanation and discussion.
You should apply relevant knowledge discussed in your unit. You should prepare for this assignment by reviewing the literature (i.e. by using ProQuest 5000 and Science Direct databases at http://www.scu.edu.au/library/index.php/) and searching the World Wide Web (i.e. via Google). You should show evidence that you have read at least 10 references, which must be published after January 2012, in the literature (including references from academic and professional publications) to prepare this assignment. A variety of references are expected including books, refereed journals, case studies, newspapers, magazines and electronic references.
Format for Assignment 1
You will be marked on communication as well as content. This is done to emphasise the importance of aiming for effective communication as well as good content – not only here in a university assignment, but also in your day-to-day work. After all, if you do not communicate and present your ideas well, it is much harder to have your ideas accepted by busy colleagues or executives.
Your assignment should contain:
• Title page
• Table of contents
• Main body of report with suitable headings and subheadings
• Reference list
• Appendices (if relevant).
References: Harvard Referencing Style is required in this subject. Please visit SCU Library website for information (URL: http://www.scu.edu.au/library/finding_info/citing_info.html). You can also contact SCU librarians for assistance.