ASSESSMENT TASK 3 – PROJECT PART A
• Read each part of the written assessment outlined below and follow the instructions and questions
• All parts of the written assessment must be completed and submitted to the trainer/assessor for marking
• Use of correct grammar and spelling is required to demonstrate foundational
• Write your name, student ID, the assessment task and the name of the unit of competency on each piece of paper you submit for assessment
The trainer/assessor will provide a date and time for this assessment
Project- Part A
A proposal to the management.
You are working as a Nurse in Rockhampton, Queensland. You notice that your hospital co-workers show less empathy towards patients of Aboriginal and Torres Islander descent. Some of the patients do not speak fluent English and your colleagues poke fun at them. There are 3 interpreters available however, they remain busy most of the time. Often, it becomes difficult to explain the doctor’s orders in the absence of interpreters. You decide to write a strategic proposal to the management of the hospital to promote cultural safety and competency in the Hospital in a period of 3 months and methods to evaluate the outcome.
Make sure you include the following in your proposal:
• Identify critical issues that influence relationships and communication with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
• Establish key aspects of cultural safety in consultation with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
• Use communication techniques and work practices that show respect for the cultural differences of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
• Evaluate the extent to which cultural safety is integrated in own work and workplace.
• Engage with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander interpreters and colleagues as cultural brokers, according to situation needs
• Support the development of effective partnerships between staff, Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and their communities
• Identify and utilise resources to promote partnerships
• Reflect awareness of own and other cultures in work practices.
• For Evaluating the program make sure you ; o Agree outcomes against which cultural safety strategies can be measured o Involve Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people in evaluations
o Evaluate programs and services against desired outcomes
o Revise strategies based on evaluation with appropriate engagement of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
2. The proposal should contain :
a. A Problem Statement : 50 words
b. How you identified the problem : 100 words
c. Proposed strategies : 500 words
d. Expected Outcomes : 250 words
e. Evaluation of the Outcomes :250 words
f. Conclusion : 100 words
3. Word limit for the paper is 1250 words.
4. It should be in Times New Roman. Size 12. Spacing 1.5
5. Use formal language.
6. Citation is not required as this is a proposal paper.
Project – Part B
Aboriginal and Torres Islander History.
For this assignment, you are expected to demonstrate understanding and knowledge of the Aboriginal and Torres Islander culture and write a 1500 word essay. You are expected to cite and represent your sources of information properly.
Make sure you include the following in your Essay:
• Diverse culture and history
• Historical, social, political and economic factors affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and their engagement with community services and health systems including:
• Politics and how the impact of European settlement brought about socio-economic issues in regards to loss of land and cultural heritage
• Values of law and kinship
• Racism and discrimination
• Past and present power relations.
• Own culture, western systems and structures how these impact on Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait islander people and their engagement with services
• Factors that contribute to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait islander ill health and common diseases experienced by these groups of people
• Impact of racial trauma on individuals ‘decision-making, communicating, understanding and retaining information
• Propose ways to involve Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait islander people in the planning and delivery of services and programs
1. The proposal should contain :
a. Introduction in 150 words
b. Body in 700 words
c. Conclusion in 50-100 words
2. Word limit for the paper is 950 words.
3. It should be in Times New Roman. Size 12. Spacing 1.5
4. Use formal language.
5. APA/MLA/Harvard format of referencing is compulsory.