Written Assignment – Individual Case Study Information
The following is the basis for your assignment. This Assignment constitutes 30% of your overall grade for the Unit. The final word count is 1500 words excluding references.
• You are to work alone.
• You are to use the country that the Lecturer has assigned to you as a base for your paper.
• You will be penalized if you do not stick to the country assigned to you.
• Your paper is due on Monday of Week 4 at 5pm. This is to be submitted via Turnitin and will be 1500 words.
You are a member of the Board of an Australian Company. Your office is expanding overseas and you need to prepare one of your employees to take up the role of General Manager for that country. One obvious form or preparation for an overseas job is learning about the local culture of your new location. This is exactly what we will do: The reports will be in a business presentation type format.
Typically such reports focus on countries and may include any specific cultural space (country, region, city, etc.)
The report format and relevant issues to discuss include the following:
I. Title Page – Your company and target country
II. The Company – Brief description of your company and the key products it sells
III. Formal Institution Analysis - Specifics of the political, economic, technological, and legal environment of the target country, as relevant including corruption and how to deal with government interference.
IV. Informal Institutions Analysis – A general description of the target country and culture in the country (e.g., cultural dimensions, religion and beliefs, language, etc.)
A. How informal norms in society will affect your day to day role.
B. Management practices prevalent in this culture (e.g., how are employees hired? promoted? motivated?)
C. Any other interesting and specific details that provide a good understanding of “how things work”
V. The Expatriate - Skills and abilities that potential expatriates need in order to be successful in this culture
VI. Recommendation – Should we or should we not open up here? Summarise your justification.
No country will be assigned to more than 1 person. This way we will cover a wide range of cultures – knowledge from multiple cultures contributes to the development of cultural intelligence.
A Marking Rubric is available online.
Individual Weightings for the final paper are as follows:
• Understanding of Country (30%)
• Quality of Research (20%)
• Quality of the Analysis and Recommendations (30%)
• Referencing, Structure, Grammar, (20%)
The research should be based on real and current data relating to the chosen industry gained from a variety of sources. The analysis must show a clear understanding of each of the Five Forces and must be supported with relevant references from the literature.
An example of a credible source of information is the CIA World Factbook:
• Research using the prescribed textbook, academic journals and government websites. (refer to ProQuest /Ebsco/ ebrary that are accessible via Moodle)
• Construct an in-depth and analytical discussion based on a correct understanding of the global environment
• Use evidence and factual data from government and industry sources to support your work.
• Write in a clear and logical manner.
• Use in-text citations and referencing using the Harvard referencing system
Plagiarism is not tolerated at Cambridge International College. Please read the Unit Outline for reference to plagiarism. If you are unsure please consult with your lecturer or a learning advisor.
Ensure that your work is NOT shared among other classmates or groups
Other important reminders:
• Sharing or borrowing report submissions is considered serious academic misconduct which can lead to failure of the assignment or the entire unit.
• Lecturers may require students to discuss their case study report in a separate meeting.
• All submissions must be submitted through Turnitin, emailed or hard copy submissions will not be marked.