NIT1104: GROUP PROJECT (55%) – Term 2_2018
(Two Students per Group)
Student ID Student Full Name
Design an Ethernet LAN for a given floor plan. The floor plan can be downloaded from VU Collaborate. In the given floor plan;
• Computer labs are highlighted in green. Each PC lab has 10 computers and a printer.
• Offices are highlighted in pink. Each office room has 1 computer and a printer.
• The technical room is highlighted in cyan where the main switches and routers are located.
• Note that you need to spare 10% of the total addresses of each subnet for future development.
- Each PC lab is on a separate IP sub-network
- All office computers are on a single IP sub-network
- The LAN is connected to the main campus network and the Internet using a FastEthernet fiber optic link (100Base-FX). Assume that the default gateway address is 220.127.116.11.
- The LAN operates on a class A sub-network: 172.168.1XY.0/23 where X, and Y are the last two digits of the student ID of one of the group members.
o For instance, if the last two digits are 09 then the subnet is 18.104.22.168/23
- Available networking devices and accessories that you can use in this project:
o Cisco 2950/2960 series switches
o Cisco ISR router 2620 series with all available modules
o All types of network cables and connectors
Your task: Design and configure the LAN to meet the design requirements.
• The design document should include;
1. A network diagram of the LAN with detailed information to show the functionality of each network device in the diagram.
2. A site map that show the deployment location of each network device in the site
3. A detailed list of the network inventories including;
? The network devices with detailed specification and amount of each type
? Network cables and estimated amount of each cable type in meters,
? Any other accessories such as connectors and tools.
4. An IP network addressing plan that specifies;
? For each subnet, the network address, broadcast address, valid host address range that will be assigned to the PCs. Note that you need to spare 10% of the total addresses of each subnet for future development.
? The IP address of each router interface.
? Any unused address space
• The configuration document should include;
1. Detailed configuration commands for all routers and switches.
2. A Packet Tracer file implementing a simplified solution of the LAN.
? On the Packet Tracer, include only 2 computers for each sub-network
3. Screenshots from the Packet Tracer showing that you can connect between sub-networks and the gateway (using ping to verify the connectivity).
- Project is released by week 6.
- Project presentation is due during week 12 (Lecture/Lab time).
- Final project submission is due by 11:59 PM Monday of week 12.
- No extension will be given unless special consideration is approved by the unit coordinator.
- Late penalty: For each day late, 10% of the total mark will be deducted up to five days. And student will get ZERO mark after that.
1. Solution (50%):
i. Working solution: 30%
ii. IP Address Design: 20%
2. Documentation and presentation (40%)
i. Sufficient information as required (Please refer to the section “Your task:” on page 1 for detailed information on what should be included in your documentation): 30%
ii. Well presentenced: 10%
3. Demo (10%): 5-min to explain the design solution with Q&A