HC2121 Comparative Business Ethics and
Assessment: Individual Essay T2 2018 35 MARKS
DUE DATE: Week 10 (28 September 2018) – Regular & Block Mode
Choose a recent news/media article that has been published within the last 3 months that concerns a business ethics issue/s and answer the following questions using an essay style format:
Criteria Possible Mark
1. Provide a short introduction and conclusion /5
2. Outline and summarize the arguments made in the article including relevant background/history and consider any legal or sanction implications.
3. Discuss the key ethical issue/s/ concerns raised in the article (this can include: corporate governance, corporate social responsibility, corporate citizenship, leadership etc.
4. In your opinion has/have the most appropriate ethical decisions been made? If so why? If not why not? Provide examples of other ethical cases to support your answer. (If a legal and or sanction imposed, was this (in own opinion) reasonable?
Why/Why not? /5
5. Outline your ethical decisionmaking processes aligning your opinion/decision by identifying the most relevant of the seven moral philosophies outlined in the class text book (Chapter 6: Pages 157177) to support your answer /5
6. Writing (spelling and grammar), formatting, referencing /5
7. You must include a copy of the article as an Appendix. If this is not attached you will lose 5 marks.
(refer instructions – next page)
Total Mark /35
Instructions and Learning Outcomes:
1. Introduction and conclusion
• Your introduction should be a short summary of the article and your plan for answering the questions.
• Your conclusion should be a concise statement that is consistent with your introduction
2. The outline and summary should show that you understand issues raised from an ethical Perspective Outline/summary of arguments demonstrates clear understanding of relevance to ethics not just personal ethics and legal ramifications (if applicable)
3. Demonstrate own decision making/judgement processes in relation to the ethical issue demonstrating of how individual ethical judgements are made and how they may vary.
4. Provide an outline of relevant ethical moral philosophies demonstrates an understanding of the ethical moral philosophies discussed in class and can apply philosophy to actions/consequences.
5. Use of academic writing and referencing including attention to spelling, grammar and punctuation. Adherence to the Harvard style guide as listed in the Holmes academic course guide must be used (both in text and reference list).